by/in/categorized into three categories

Kacy.H

Chinese
Hi, people. Do the three bold words all work? I saw "categorized into three categories" on a website. Is it good to use categorized and categories at the same time?

1. The bar graph displays total call duration in the UK by three categories from 1955 to 2002.
2. The bar graph displays total call duration in the UK in three categories from 1955 to 2002.
3. The bar graph displays total call duration in the UK categorized into three categories from 1955 to 2002.

Original: The chart below shows the total number of minutes (in billions) of telephone calls in the UK, divided into three categories, from 1995-2002.
call.png

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    To me, only the second one works. It doesn't quite have the same meaning as the original (which is the best of the four), but the difference is probably irrelevant.

I don't think "total call duration" and "total number of minutes" are the same thing here, by the way, though we would have to see the graph to be sure.

Kacy.H

Chinese
    I don't think "total call duration" and "total number of minutes" are the same thing here, by the way, though we would have to see the graph to be sure.
    Thanks, could you take a look at the graph and tell me if "total call duration" and "total number of minutes" are the same thing here?

Also, what's wrong with "by"? The graph uses "by".
    (I did not add the graph to the thread after I saw your post. I did it before I saw your post.)

line copy.png

Tegs

Mód ar líne
    English (Ireland)
    Is it good to use categorized and categories at the same time?
    No. "Divide into categories" is much better.

Also, what's wrong with "by"? The graph uses "by".
    The graph says "by category". That's fine. The problem in your sentence is "by three categories", which is not the same. This would be ok:

The bar graph displays total call duration in the UK by category from 1955 to 2002.

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    "By category" is fine. "By three categories" sounds odd.

The graph does not show total call duration. It gives us no information about how long each call lasted. 90 billion minutes might be 30 billion calls of three minutes' duration, or three billion calls of 30 minutes' duration, etc.

[Cross-posted with Tegs]

Kacy.H

Chinese
    Thank you both.
    90 billion minutes might be 30 billion calls of three minutes' duration, or three billion calls of 30 minutes' duration, etc.
    That's why the word "total" is used. Either way, there were 90 billion minutes in total. What do you think?

Also, "by three categories" is wrong. However, "in three categories" is correct?

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    As I said in #2, "in three categories" works.

I'm re-thinking "total call duration," and it may be fine. Perhaps it does not imply that the duration of each call is represented in the graph. I still prefer "total number of minutes," though.