by/in/on its own merit

< Previous | Next >

elliest_5

UK
Greek
I am talking about something which is part of a category of factors, but, at the same time, can be a whole different factor "by/in/or on (???) its own merit". I mean to say: due to its special nature it can stand on its own as a different factor - not necessarily belonging to a category.

[God I hate prepositions!! I've spent 2/3 of my life studying and speaking English and prepositions are the one thing I will never master nor gain any intuitions about :( (also, I think I have my good days and bad days as far as guessing the right preposition goes, and today I am obviously on a bad day)]

• pob14

American English
    I would say "on." I wish I had a rule to give you, but I don't. (To make it worse, "by itself" or "in its own right" would mean much the same thing. :eek:)

elliest_5

UK
    Greek
    Thank you! I think I can use "in its own right" instead, now that you mentioned it, it sounds better ;) .

I think a factor of confusion in this case is the prominence of the expression "on its own".

pob14

American English
    Thank you! I think I can use "in its own right" instead, now that you mentioned it, it sounds better ;) .

I think a factor of confusion in this case is the prominence of the expression "on its own".
    I was struggling with that myself as I was answering. :eek: I think you've made a good choice.

< Previous | Next >