by restricting A by B

< Previous | Next >

NewAmerica

Banned
Mandarin
I don't understand the second "by" well enough.

Here the grammatical structure is "(Hypocretin controls myelopoiesis) by restricting A by B" (supposed "hypocretin-receptor-expressing pre-neutrophils" = B and "the production of CSF1" =A).

The question of this thread is whether "by restricting A by B" means "by restricting A, and such restricting process works by using B as a tool."

I did a simple search to no avail. So I post it here.

Sleep modulates haematopoiesis and protects against atherosclerosis

We show that mice subjected to sleep fragmentation produce more Ly-6Chigh monocytes, develop larger atherosclerotic lesions and produce less hypocretin—a stimulatory and wake-promoting neuropeptide—in the lateral hypothalamus. Hypocretin controls myelopoiesis by restricting the production of CSF1 by hypocretin-receptor-expressing pre-neutrophils in the bone marrow.

Source: Sleep modulates haematopoiesis and protects against atherosclerosis (nature)Published: 13 February 2019

• Myridon

English - US
    A is the entire phrase: (The production of CSF1 by hypocretin-receptor-expressing pre-neutrophils in the bone marrow).
    Hypocretin-receptor-expressing pre-neutrophils in the bone marrow produce CSF1. Hypocretin controls myelopoiesis by restricting that production.

< Previous | Next >