by return and unasked

< Previous | Next >

mvdg

Spanish
Dear all,

Can you help me?! The phrase is in a letter from a Rotary Club in Germany to a student. In this letter, the student is receiving instructions of what she has to do and take with her to Germany. The sentence says:
Moreover it is necessary that your YEO/counsellor, host Rotay Club and we will get your flight dates by return and unasked.

I can't grasp the meaning of the whole sentence, in fact. Are they expecting her to give them something, maybe the flight tickets, without complaining on her part?

I hope you can help me solve it! I'm translating it into Spanish.

Thank you!

• mvdg

Spanish
    Are you sure you have typed it here correctly? Please give us the sentence before and after. The context will help. As it is, it doesn't make much sense.
    Thanks, JamesM.

This is the previous sentence:
    After having received your Guarantee Form (GF) please contact (equal if you need a visa or not!!!) "your" German embassy/consulate and your first host family immediately by email in order to be able to arrange your pick up in Frankfurt.
    ---------------------------------
    That part is under the heading: Travel recommendations.
    The letter isn't written by a native English speaker, that's way it's confusing.
    I hope this context makes it easier to understand it.

Thank you

sdgraham

USA English
    I'm totally mystified as well.....

Is there a German version - or can you request one? If a student is going to study or be on an extended visit to Germany, presumably she has been studying the language and has a teacher to help.

Good luck.

Last edited:

mvdg

Spanish
    Thanks, sdgraham.
    They received that message in English only, as far as I know. I don't speak German. Maybe I should ask the sender what he meant... The student knows some English.
    But, if anyone else can figure out what it says there, I'll be very thankful!

SwissPete

Français (CH), AE (California)
    Moreover it is necessary that your YEO/counsellor, host Rotay Club and we will get your flight dates by return and unasked.
    I understand "
    your YEO/counsellor, host Rotay Club and we" as three different entities: 1) your YEO/counsellor, 2) the host Rotary Club, and 3) we, the writer(s) of these instructions. The "will' seems superfluous.

As for "your flight dates by return", perhaps "mail" ("by return mail") is missing.

"Unasked" is strange! Without having to ask you (?)

Am I reaching too far?
    :confused:

mvdg

Spanish

I understand "
    your YEO/counsellor, host Rotay Club and we" as three different entities: 1) your YEO/counsellor, 2) the host Rotary Club, and 3) we, the writer(s) of these instructions. The "will' seems superfluous.

As for "your flight dates by return", perhaps "mail" ("by return mail") is missing.

"Unasked" is strange! Without having to ask you (?)

Am I reaching too far?
    :confused:
    --------------------------------------------
    Thank you very much, SwissPete!!! It helped a lot to figure out the (posible) meaning. And thank you for answering quick.
    Have a nice week!

< Previous | Next >