by the Senior Management thereof

isabel...

Spanish
Hi. Could you please help to figure out what "thereof" refers to in this sentence. Thanks.

This Operating Procedure is for immediate application by the Company and for any of its subsidiaries that carry out the activities falling under its regulation, subject to a declaration of applicability by the Senior Management thereof (...)

• Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    This is an extremely pompous way of saying: ...subject to a declaration of applicability by its Senior Management (...)

There, now you have two conflicting views! So not only is it pompous, it's ambiguous! If the writer had chosen its or their, we'd know what he meant.

Andygc

British English
    Various reasons why you are wrong, Keith. Thereof should refer to the nearer entity, so it's "subsidiaries". The procedure applies to the company immediately, so cannot be delayed by obtaining a declaration of applicability. Furthermore, the immediate application refers only to the Company - "...is for immediate application by the Company and for any of its subsidiaries that ...." If it was for immediate application by the subsiduaries (therefore no time to obtain the declaration), it would read "...Company and any of its ...". That second "for" separates "Company" from "thereof", and makes the declaration an action for managers in the subsiduary.

Not surprising, really. The Company already knows that it carries out the applicable procedures. The subsidiaries need to declare that the procedures are applicable to whatever they do.

exgerman

NYC
    English but my first language was German
    So "by the Senior Management thereof" means "by the Senior Management of the subsidiaries"?
    That's what the grammar says. But it can't really means what it says, because "Senior Management" should refer to the management of the Company.

So you have a choice. You can believe the grammar or you can believe what your general knowledge of corporate management writing style tells you it has to mean.

Loob

English UK
    I have read and re-read your post 4, Andy, and I still don't feel sure what the "thereof" refers to.

I'm also puzzled by the "for" in "for any of its subsidiaries":
    This Operating Procedure is
    (1) for immediate application by the Company
    (2) for any of its subsidiaries
    ?:confused:?

Isabel, where does this extract come from? Was it originally written in English, or is it a translation from another language?

(cross-posted)

Last edited:

isabel...

Spanish
    I have read and re-read your post 4, Andy, and I still don't feel sure what the "thereof" refers to.

I'm also puzzled by the "for" in "for any of its subsidiaries":
    This Operating Procedure is
    (1) for immediate application by the Company
    (2) for any of its subsidiaries
    ?:confused:?

Isabel, where does this extract come from? Was it originally written in English, or is it a translation from another language?

(cross-posted)
    It is supposed to be written by an English native speaker, but I can't tell you for sure.

AR Nick

English - United States
    So "by the Senior Management thereof" means "by the Senior Management of the subsidiaries"?
    Yes, correct. The Operating Procedure is applied to the "Company" immediately with no exception. However, the subsidiaries may exert some influence, based on declarations from their Senior Management.

Andygc

British English
    Loob
    1. This Operating Procedure is for immediate application by the Company
    2. This Operating Procedure is for for any of its subsidiaries that carry out the activities falling under its regulation, subject to a declaration of applicability by the Senior Management thereof

The Company has subsidiaries
    Some of those subsidiaries carry out activities that fall under the Company's regulation *
    The Operating Procedures are for those subsidiaries -
    so long as local senior management declares the Operating Procedures applicable.

The last bit is an amazing let-out. If the subsidiaries' senior managers can't be bothered to follow the procedures, they just declare that they aren't applicable. :confused:

* However, this bit may be badly written, and could possibly mean:
    Some of those subsidiaries carry out activities that fall under the Operating Procedure's regulation.

It is supposed to be written by an English native speaker, but I can't tell you for sure.
    Oh, I can believe that. There's still people around who believe that contracts, rules, by-laws and regulations should be written in words that no English-speaker would ever say. Conveyances on house purchase often include fine examples of obfuscation, which lawyers will say have a precise meaning.

< Previous | Next >