By your bullet

Golak das

bengali
In a movie Hero said to Heroine.

If I ever die, it would be in your hands.

While she was pointing a gun at his head.

Similarly if I say in below ways would they be correct.

If I ever die, it would be getting shot by your bullet.

If I ever die, it would be by your bullet.

Never saw by preceded by be. Please if you want to teach me about the rules of be and by.

• PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    In a movie Hero said to Heroine.

If I ever die, it would be in your hands.
    It seems more likely that the hero would say
    1. If I am to die, it would be in your arms.
    or
    2. If I am to die, it would be at your hands.

What was the name of the film? :thumbsup:

Golak das

bengali
    It seems more likely that the hero would say
    1. If I am to die, it would be in your arms.
    or
    2. If I am to die, it would be at your hands.

What was the name of the film? :thumbsup:
    "Saaho" it is dubbed in English.

But I don't think if I ever die is wrong at all.

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Would it be helpful to say that by there means by means of?

How did you get here? It was by my own two feet. It was by means of my own two feet.

much_rice

English - American
    I agree with PaulQ that the dubber has made a mistake. Only gods or other celestial beings would say, "If I ever die..." For us mortals, we know that we're going to die at some point. There also seems to be a mistake with the second clause.

If I die, it will be by your hand = It's your fault if I die right now; you're the one who will kill me
    If I die, it will be in your arms = If I die right now, then (at least) I'll be dying with you, because I love you
    If I die, it will be (blood) on your hands = There will be "blood on your hands" if I die right now, in the metaphorical sense that "you will be guilty of a crime" if you cause my death

Golak das

bengali
    I agree with PaulQ that the dubber has made a mistake. Only gods or other celestial beings would say, "If I ever die..." For us mortals, we know that we're going to die at some point. There also seems to be a mistake with the second clause.

If I die, it will be by your hand = It's your fault if I die right now; you're the one who will kill me
    If I die, it will be in your arms = If I die right now, then (at least) I'll be dying with you, because I love you
    If I die, it will be (blood) on your hands = There will be "blood on your hands" if I die right now, in the metaphorical sense that "you will be guilty of a crime" if you cause my death
    This made everything clear.

< Previous | Next >