célébrer la famille

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by BrightonNative, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Bonsoir,
    As a guess for translation into English, I think that the verb "célébrer" might have a specific meaning here. Could it mean "glorify"? At first, I thought that "officiate for" was a possibility but it seems that the text is referring to the fact that the musician was composing music which made mention of the Carrara family. Thanks for your thoughts!

Context: En 1401, l’archiprêtre Zabarella accorde à Ciconia un bénéfice à San Biagio de Roncaglia. Grâce à ce bénéfice, Ciconia a pu intégrer le chapitre de la cathédrale de Padoue dès 1402. Ciconia a aussi célébré la famille Carrara, sans apparemment occuper de fonction officielle au sein de la cour. Le texte de la ballata Con lagrime est indiqué dans une source « ballata fatta per messer franchiesco singnior di padova » - il s’agit vraisemblablement de Francesco Carrara...

2. mehoul Senior Member

french
    The meaning is that Ciconia composed a poem to honour the Carrara family (specifically Francesco Carrara).

3. I understand, mehoul. Thank you very much for your reply. :)

4. lentulax

lentulax Senior Member

Cumbria , England
    UK English
    If you want to keep the phrase general (even though Con lagrime bagnandome may, as it turns out, be the only extant evidence) , 'Ciconia also paid homage in his work to the Carrara family', or simply 'Ciconia also wrote in honour of the Carrara family'.

5. joelooc

joelooc Senior Member

French (Provence)
    sing the praises of... ?