cómo amaneciste - too personal?

Paula H

English - USA
How personal is "¿cómo amaneciste/cómo amaneció?"

Can I use it with casual acquaintances (people I don't know well), or only with friends and family?

The closest English equivalent is, "Did you sleep well?" I would use that with friends and family, but never with someone I don't know well.

On the other hand, I know you can use "Que descansa/s" with anyone. Is "¿cómo amaneciste/cómo amaneció?" the same?

Also, what is the usual response? "Bien"? "Bien, ¿y tu?" ?

Most of the Spanish speakers I talk to are from Mexico.

Last edited:
  • nykta

USA; English
    Hmm. A coworker once asked me "Cómo te amaneció," and we were certainly not intimate friends. Also, this was late afternoon, so I didn't take it to really be the equivalent of "how did you sleep," more like "how has your day been." On the other hand, I wouldn't take this individual to be a prime example of etiquette and decorum, so I'm interested to see what others have to say on this subject...

MasterHammer

Spanish - Chile
    ¿Cómo amaneciste? = Informal, with friends and family.
    "Bien"? "Bien, ¿y tú?" are OK.

¿Cómo amaneció? = Polite.
    Usual response: Bien, ¿y usted?

Paula H

English - USA
    So are you saying it would be appropriate to say that to, for example, my boss? It is not too personal / too familiar?

aleii

spanish -portuguese
    I don´t know if this would help... but it´s not common to ask como amaneciste? in spanish to a boss or to a person I don´t know well. Como amaneciste means :did you sleep well? And we ask that to friend ,relatives etc If you want to greet a person I´d say ¿Como está usted? ...
    I don´t know the context... so I can´t help you more..

MasterHammer

Spanish - Chile
    So are you saying it would be appropriate to say that to, for example, my boss? It is not too personal / too familiar?

The polite form, here in Chile, it's not too personal. It would be a courteous manner of being friendly with your boss.