Cómo amaneciste

jacinta

USA English
Hello, folks,

Someone said this to me recently and it made me stop to think: ¿Cómo amaneciste? Is this the same as "How are you today?" Is it a common greeting? I know literally it means, "How did you wake up?"

Thanks much

• Artrella

Banned
    BA
    Spanish-Argentina
    jacinta said:
    Hello, folks,

Someone said this to me recently and it made me stop to think: ¿Cómo amaneciste? Is this the same as "How are you today?" Is it a common greeting? I know literally it means, "How did you wake up?"

Thanks much

Yes Jacinta, informally it means "how are you today"... especially if something wrong has happened to you or if you are expecting that person not to be well...sometimes it's ironic.

dexterciyo

Español - Canarias
    Interesting thread :)

Isn't there any other way to mean "¿cómo amaneciste?" instead of "how are you today?" ?

"¿Cómo estás hoy?" for me is not exactly the same as "¿Cómo amaneciste?" ... It's like you are asking that person how was he or she after waking up.

Huh, maybe, "how was your waking-up today?" :D. Does it make any sense?

crisstti

Chile, Spanish
    Interesting thread. I think that How are you today? would be OK, since it implies, as the expression in Spanish, that you are asking specificaly about "today", probably in comparisson with another day... The only difference I see is that the expression in Spanish has generally to be asked in the morning.

Dale Dolores

Native: English
    Hi! In Costa Rica, this is the common greeting in the morning. Everyone says it. They say it instead of "¿cómo estás? In a way, it's also kind of asking if you had a good night's sleep. Finally, isn't this verb reflexive? I believe it's ¿cómo te amaneciste?

shadows

Chile - Spanish
    jacinta said:
    Hello, folks,

Thanks much

in Chile is a very,very common greeting and is pretty similar to say How are you feeling today?, you are asking if the person is better than the day or the night before... sorry about my English I'm just learning...

Puntitas

México/United States Spanish/English
    Hello Everyone,

I would say that the best translation for this question is "How are you doing/feeling this morning?"

Though it is a variation of "how are you?" reserved for the morning, I agree with Artrella's point: it's also the way to check on the status of someone who may be going through some difficulties.

If I've been ill, my mother asks me, "¿Cómo amaneciste?" to find out if I'm feeling better (i.e., having fewer symptoms). She might use the same question to get the same information even if she doesn't speak to me until the afternoon or evening. In that case, the question would be closer to the English: "Are you feeling/doing better this morning?"

Ciao

David

Banned
    Right. The closest equivalent in English is "How did you sleep?" or "Did you sleep well?"
    Amanecer refers to how you feel this morning, after last night. It means, as others have said, "how are you feeling this morning," as opposed to yesterday or last night, or "are you feeling rested?" ¿Dormiste bien? is a little closer to the English expression. There is no absolutely equivalent translation, as we simply do not say "How did you awake?", but we do say "He woke up on the wrong side of the bed," or he "got out of bed with his left foot this morning."

funnydeal

Mexico / Español
    David said:
    Right. The closest equivalent in English is "How did you sleep?" or "Did you sleep well?"
    Amanecer refers to how you feel this morning, after last night. It means, as others have said, "how are you feeling this morning," as opposed to yesterday or last night, or "are you feeling rested?" ¿Dormiste bien? is a little closer to the English expression. There is no absolutely equivalent translation, as we simply do not say "How did you awake?", but we do say "He woke up on the wrong side of the bed," or he "got out of bed with his left foot this morning."

We have a similar expresion for that:

Ël se levantó con el pie izquierdo

Antartic

Chile
    Also there could be an ironical and funny way of saying it, in a very informal context when you know that a friend of yours is sort of ill (but not badly ill) or old and weak, in this context you could tell him in the morning with surprise:
    ¡¿Cómo?! ¡¿Amaneciste?! :D

This conveys the idea tha you don't expect him to 'survive' until the other day.

Rosita la Cangurita

Australia/ English
    joylolade said:
    Hi! In Costa Rica, this is the common greeting in the morning. Everyone says it. They say it instead of "¿cómo estás? In a way, it's also kind of asking if you had a good night's sleep. Finally, isn't this verb reflexive? I believe it's ¿cómo te amaneciste?

Yo estoy de acuerdo con usted. In Costa Rica they say this all the time. certainly if its before 1pm people will always greet each other with this. Although the difference is that its actually ¿cómo amaneció? because in Costa Rica it's considered inpolite to refer to anyone as "tu", even if they're younger than you.

peaches2002

United States
    Hola,

Is "Como Amanesistes" like saying "Como Estas"?

What is the exact translation of Como Amanesistes.

I know that Andar means "to walk"

Gracias

ortiga

España - Español
    La frase en español está mal escrita. Debería ser: "¿Cómo amanecisteis?", Significa "¿Qué tal os despertasteis?" (=¿Estabais bien al despertar?).

suso26

Spanish México.
    Es (En Mexico): Como amaneciste?
    Andar is to walk in English, but it is more used in colloquial sentences like:
    Where have you been all this time? Donde anduviste (estuviste) todo este tiempo?
    Where are you know? Donde andas? (Donde estas?).

Walk is (In Spanish) "caminar".

kaliman4150

Mexico, spanish/english
    Es (En Mexico): Como amaneciste?
    Andar is to walk in English, but it is more used in colloquial sentences like:
    Where have you been all this time? Donde anduviste (estuviste) todo este tiempo?
    Where are you know? Donde andas? (Donde estas?).

Walk is (In Spanish) "caminar".

amanecer in english would reference the dawn of morning or that time of morning when the sun rises and the day typically starts. Como amaneciste is saying, how did you wake up this morning? How did you get out of bed? How was your morning? Did you wake up ok..etc..

Andar can be used in the form of walking estamos andando por alla we are walking over there, but more correctly is estamos caminando por alla from the verb caminar. Andar more correctly means the state of being in something, as he andado en mucho problemas, I was in alot of trouble, hemos andado ocupados, we were very busy. No andas buscando broncas. Dont go looking for trouble. Andar is more the state of being or had been in something .

fenixpollo

American English
    How did you wake up?
    Sorry, xinch, but this is not a phrase that sounds natural, and I haven't heard anyone use it. If someone asked me this, I would respond sarcastically, by saying "How did I wake up? By opening one eye and then the other." :rolleyes:

I can't think of an equivalent expression in English. We would just say, How are you this morning? or How are you feeling today? If you wanted to be more poetic/literary, you might say How is the morning treating you?

xinch14

Mexican Spanish
    Sorry, xinch, but this is not a phrase that sounds natural, and I haven't heard anyone use it. If someone asked me this, I would respond sarcastically, by saying "How did I wake up? By opening one eye and then the other." :rolleyes:

I can't think of an equivalent expression in English. We would just say, How are you this morning? or How are you feeling today? If you wanted to be more poetic/literary, you might say How is the morning treating you?

I agree with you... actually we sometimes get an answer to that question as you said, but only between friends.

Q=¿Cómo amaneciste?
    R= Dormido, con los ojos cerrados, acostado, en la cama y en ayunas.

The question ¿cómo amaneciste? in mexican spanish is intended to ask how were you at the exact moment when you get up, not to all the morning.

For english, your suggestions are better, I guess.

gitana7

Spanish-English
    Como en todo, hay ciertas formas de uso del lenguaje que nos parecen absurdas o imposibles. En Chile por ejemplo, la forma comun (disculpen la falta de acentos en esta maquina) de saludar a alguien informalmente en la maniana es, como amaneciste?