Ca'

< Previous | Next >

billcal

English, USA
This is an elementary question, but I can't find an answer in any of my dictionaries or guidebooks. In Venice, there are many places listed as Ca' with a name, eg: Ca' Bernardo, or Ca' Pesaro. Most of these seem to be buildings or pallazzi. Is Ca' an abbreviation for Casa or Castello or something of that sort?

Thanks for your help.

• ILT

México - Español/Castellano
    Hi billcal:

Welcome to the forums. I'm moving your question to the Italian/English forum.

Greetings

Idioteque

Italy - Italian
    billcal said:
    This is an elementary question, but I can't find an answer in any of my dictionaries or guidebooks. In Venice, there are many places listed as Ca' with a name, eg: Ca' Bernardo, or Ca' Pesaro. Most of these seem to be buildings or pallazzi. Is Ca' an abbreviation for Casa or Castello or something of that sort?

Thanks for your help.
    Hello billcal and welcome! :) You're right, it's an abbreviation for "casa". ;)

Bye

Laura

alahay

US
    Phoenicia
    billcal said:

Thanks for your help.
    Could it be "Calle" which is the spanish word for "street"? As far as I know, the Spaniards have been in Venice for a while!

Idioteque

Italy - Italian
    alahay said:
    Could it be "Calle" which is the spanish word for "street"? As far as I know, the Spaniards have been in Venice for a while!
    I had thought the same thing, but then I've looked up in the dictionary and it seems that it is an abbreviation for "casa". ;)

DAH

USA/California--English
    alahay said:
    If I recall corrrectly, calle is Venetian dialect for alley or street. No, there is no historical basis for the assertion that those from the Iberian penisula have had a linguistic influence in Venezia.

Best regards!

Quattrin

English - American

Are you confusing Venice with the Kingdom of Naples (or perhaps Sicily)? Venice was never under the Spanish. After their downfall to Napoleon, you could say they were under the Austrians/Hapsburgs for 50 or so years...

< Previous | Next >