caber recordar

akearney

English - Ireland
I'm not sure what 'caber recordar' means, if someone were to translate it it would be greatly appreciated. Here's the conext: Pero caber recordar que el comportamiento humano está condicionado por factores climáticos...

• FromPA

USA English
    Caber means to fit. When it is conjugated and joined with another infinitive (cabe recordar), it's usually translated as "it is necessary" (it fits / it is fitting to remember).

jacksonpo7

Venezuela Español
    I'm not sure what 'caber recordar' means, if someone were to translate it it would be greatly appreciated. Here's the conext: Pero caber recordar que el comportamiento humano está condicionado por factores climáticos...
    This phrase is when you want to emphasize something and you try to remember it, because you know that someone has knowledge on the subject, in this way you make yourself clear.

And you can use these alternatives:

Vale recordar que el…
    Cabe destacar que el….
    De hecho el…

Cerros de Úbeda

UK
    Spanish - Spain (Galicia)
    Could "it is worth recalling" work for "cabe recordar" as well?
    Yes.

The Spanish phrase "cabe recordar que..." is a somewhat formal (not much), rhetorical expression that is used either to bring something up, or to emphasize something that serves to reinforce one's argument.

It is used in intellectual discourse (debates and speeches), not so much in everyday conversation...

I mean, you wouldn't hear someone, talking about his shopping, say "Cabe recordar que me falta azúcar en casa...". But you would hear it in a debate; "Cabe recordar que esta idea fue planteada por el partido contrario".

The phrase is short for "caber (la posibilidad de) + inf". So, "cabe + inf" is equivalent to "se puede + inf";

- Se puede / podría decir que...
    - Vale / valga decir que...
    - Hay que decir (mencionar / recordar) que...
    - Merece la pena decir / señalar que...

In English, the common phrasing is;

"It is worth remembering that..."
    "It is worth mentioning that..."
    "It is worth baring in mind that..."

More colloquially;

"You could say that..."
    "It could be said that..."

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >