Cable sheath is peeled off

< Previous | Next >

DanielSeo

Korean
If a part of a power cord's protective coating is damaged, can I say the 'Cable sheath is peeled off'?
Thank you.

• Barque

Banned
    Tamil
    Damage to the sheath doesn't necessarily mean it's been peeled off. If it's been peeled off, it means it's been removed. It could also be damaged without being peeled off.

Barque

Banned
    Tamil
    So, does 'peeled off' mean the sheath is completely off? If it's partially off, can I not use it?
    No, not necessarily. It could be peeling off, pulled down on one side.

The point I was making is that peeling off is not the only type of damage the sheath can suffer. There might be a cut on it but that's not the same as a sheath that's peeling or peeled off.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    The commonest use of "to peel" is probably, "to peel a banana". You usually do not peel all of the banana until you eat the final part.

'Cable sheath is peeled off' Hmmm. You need a determiner and a change of tense: 'The Cable sheath has [been] peeled off.'

Off is not particularly precise: it could mean, (i) completely, i.e. there is no outer sheath anywhere (ii) from a small area that you are indicating (iii) as far as is required - if you are repairing the cable.

There's a picture here: https://www.handymanhowto.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/5DSC03190.jpg

The sheath in the lower part of the picture has been peeled off.

< Previous | Next >