Cade una stella

tomy0708

Germany/german
Hi there,
first post, first of all i would like to say hello and i hope that you can help me with a problem here. I learn italian and to make things easier i decided to translate some songs to learn the language a bit better besides from the course i attend at school, so the problem im facing now is the following sentence from the song "Sara perche ti amo" mostly of you know it hopefully.

Now i dont understand the following sentence:

Cade una stella ma dimmi dove siamo che te ne frega.

My poor translation so far is: "A star falls(ing) but say me where we are...???"

PLEASE HELP ME ^^;;

• EricB

US English
    I believe it's "A star falls but tell me where we are that you don't care about it." That's a polite translation. My understanding is that :warn: "te ne frega" is considered coarse -- the kind of phrase you would not use with somebody you didn't know. The Italians can shed more light on that.

The infinitve of the verb is :warn: "fregarsene" and I believe it's been discussed elsewhere on the forum, so a search should turn it up.

Alfry

Italian
    I think that is a piece of a song

Artist: Ricchi E Poveri
    Song: Sarà Perché Ti Amo

Cade una stella - A star is falling
    ma dimmi dove siamo - tell me where we are
    che te ne frega - don't care about that
    sarà perché ti amo. - maybe it's because I love you

hope that helps

walnut

Italy - Italian
    Hi Tomy and welcome to the WR Forums :)

I'm changing this thread's title to make future searches for the same topic easier.

Ciao! Walnut

Alfry

Italian
    che te ne frega can also be translated as 'it's none of your business' and generally
    non me ne frega nulla (or me ne frego)! = I couldn't care less

Please, pay attention to those words, someone could consider them offensive.

tomy0708

Germany/german
    thanks everyone,

ok now i know the meaning,

thank you so much, i will come back with more questions now soon ^^

Silvia

Italian
    Hi tom, please always quote the source, because lyrics are copyrighted.

Eric, the verb fregarsene is not a coarse, it's very informal and could be considered as rude, just like if you say 'I hate you' to your friend, he won't be very happy about that!

And now my translation:
    Cade una stella, ma dimmi dove siamo, che te ne frega, sarà perché ti amo
    A star is falling, oh tell me where we are, who cares, it must be 'cause I love you!

tomy0708

Germany/german
    Silvia said:
    Hi tom, please always quote the source, because lyrics are copyrighted.
    oh, ok im sorry, i didnt knew that

Silvia said:
    And now my translation:
    Cade una stella, ma dimmi dove siamo, che te ne frega, sarà perché ti amo
    A star is falling, oh tell me where we are, who cares, it must be 'cause I love you!
    and thanks for your translation ^^

tomy0708

Germany/german
    oh wait, one more question, you think we could make a complete translation of this song? Its because there are a few other phrases im not sure about how to translate.

EricB

US English
    Thank you so much for the clarification, Silvia. I've been afraid to use "fregarsene" because I haven't understood exactly how rude it is.

What I meant by "coarse" is "crude or vulgar, but not obscene." Does that sound like the right description in this case?

Silvia

Italian
    Well, let me think... I use that verb quite often informally, I don't think it's vulgar, but if it's enriched with more colorful and/or graphic additions, it is, it gets totally different. Does that make sense?

lsp

NY
    US, English
    Eric, it's just like the English "Who cares?" (Chi se ne frega?) or "I couldn't care less!" (Non me ne frega!) or "What's it to you?" (Che te ne frega?) It's not so much that the words are offensive, it's just not something you would say in a conversation with a prospective employer, for example.

< Previous | Next >