cadge a lift

pepskrik

france / francais
hi everyone,

I came across the expression "to cadge a lift" but I kind of struggle to figue out what it means , -but according to the context which is "you shouldnt be cadging lifts like this .Does your mother know that you're out?"-
maybe it means "faire le mur" but not sure at all.
thank for your input !

• cropje_jnr

English - Australia
    This from the Wiktionary:

to cadge (third-person singular simple present cadges, present participle cadging or cadgin, simple past and past participle cadged)
    1. (Geordie) To beg. "Are ye gannin te cadge a lift of yoer fatha?"
    2. (US, UK, slang) To obtain something by wit or guile; to convince someone to do something they might not normally do.
    So it's Northern-British slang meaning 'to beg' (for a lift). I can tell you we don't use this in Australia.

pepskrik

france / francais
    hello cropje , thank you for your answer, although I confess I'm still confused... so my context would mean you shouldn't beg ????

pepskrik

france / francais
    hello franglais ,
    thank you for your input, as a matter of fact "taper" would make more sense to me in this case .
    other suggestions ??

ambewela

English UK
    although i just checked and the meaning is definitely mooch/beg... i've lived in england all my life and never heard it.

–verb (used with object) 1.to obtain by imposing on another's generosity or friendship. 2.to borrow without intent to repay. 3.to beg or obtain by begging. –verb (used without object) 4.to ask, expect, or encourage another person to pay for or provide one's drinks, meals, etc. 5.to beg.

dewsy

England, english
    It can also be replaced by 'to bum'
    To bum a ride (se faire emmener)
    To bum a cigarette (taper une cigarette)
    To bum a meal (se faire payer un repas)

Alipeeps

UK
    UK - English
    Maybe it's in the sense of getting lifts off strangers? hitch-hiking? Faire du stop?
    This is exactly what it means in this context.

"To cadge" is "to beg" in the sense of asking for a favour. You can also say "to wheedle" which has a similar meaning.

In the phrase "to cadge a lift" it means to ask someone to drive you somewhere. In the context of the original sentence, that is why it is saying the person shouldn't be doing this - it can be dangerous to get into a car with someone and trust them to take you where you want to go (the implication in the original sentence seems to be that the person is perhaps cadging lifts from strangers - effectively hitch-hiking).

Deckboy

French
    I see the dictionnary gives "taper" as a definition but I must say that after having lived in many regions of France I have never heard people say that. What you will hear though is quite close since we do say "TAXER".
    Exemple: "Il n'arrête pas de taxer des cigarettes à tout le monde"
    I really think they should change the dictionnary's translation on this one. However if you do say "taper" I'm sure people will understand due to the context and the fact that it sounds alike.
    Hope this will help some.

< Previous | Next >