Café

Natalia888

Russian
<< --- Café --- >>

Hi! I've seen a thing like this in the English text where restaurants and bars are listed, etc. What does it mean? Or is it simply a name? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Loob

English UK
    Hello Natalia - welcome to the forums!

Café
    must be the name of a particular café or restaurant: it doesn't have a meaning in everyday English:).

e2efour

UK English
    I don't know who holds the copyright on CafÄ *** but it's lunlikely to be a English-speaking company. It would be pronounced similar to Café, but the last letter does not exist in English.
    As Loob (and you) suggests, it may just be a name, which some clever person has thought up.

By the way, Welcome to the forum, natalia!

*** Sorry, my eyesight must be getting worse. I see that the last letter has a Spanish tilde above it, which would surely be meaningless.

Nunty

Modified
    Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    Have you seen this on the Internet?

Some programs don't correctly interpret é and replace it with symbols like the ones you indicate.

sdgraham

USA English

Some programs don't correctly interpret é and replace it with symbols like the ones you indicate.
    The basic character set for the Internet is represented by 7, not 8, bits and does not include any characters with diacritical marks.

There are a variety of character encodings for such characters as well as Kanji, Hirigana, Hebrew, etc. and as Nunty suggests, the reference sometimes get lost along the way.

One of the worst offenders is Microsoft Word, which uses its own character set, ignoring the rest of the world.

Just read it as "Café," which clearly is intended.

Loob

English UK
    Doesn't the © clearly indicate that it's a name, leaving aside anything else?

(Perhaps I'm missing something....:()

morior_invictus

Slovak
    Doesn't the © clearly indicate that it's a name, leaving aside anything else?

(Perhaps I'm missing something....:()
    Yes Loob, but this is about character encoding, so UTF-8 "é" when interpreted as latin-1 is not read as a one 2-byte UTF-8 character (i.e. "é") but as a two 1-byte latin-1 characters "é"

DearPrudence

Dépêche Mod (AL mod)
    IdF
    French (lower Normandy)

Completely agreed :thumbsup: I've had French friends writing to me and for some reason, at times, the "é" was changed to "é"
    (and from the same email, I see that "è = è", "Ã" = "à", "ê" = "ê")
    This is extremely annoying to read...

< Previous | Next >