café crème / café noisette / café au lait

floppydream

English US
Bonjour a tous,

I'm trying to remember -- Is a "café creme" always espresso (with steamed milk)?

And is a "café avec crème" regular coffee, with milk or cream?

Café au lait, as I recall, is a larger quantity of heated milk with coffee, traditionally in a bowl for breakfast, yes?

Merci d'avance

• hunternet

France - French
    "café crème" is with milk AND steamed milk

only with steamed milk is "une noisette"

"café au lait" is with milk only

I think I am right, but not sure.

Conchita57

Spanish - Spain/French - Switzerland
    :)

Still.... café crème and café au lait... it is not the same, is it? ;)
    It seems to depend on where you live. In some places, 'café crème' is a white coffee with less milk than the 'café au lait'. In others, like Switzerland, it's a black coffee with a little cream.

Nicomon

Français, Québec ♀
    If I asked for a café noisette at my local coffee shop, they would understand that I want a hazelnut flavored coffee

Coffee with just a little milk is well... café avec un peu de lait. But you normally ask for a regular coffee, and pour in the milk or coffee cream yourself from little cups of cold or room temperature milk/cream.

As far as I know, café au lait is called café au lait in Montreal. Usually equal parts of coffee and steamed - but not foamed - milk. Similar to latte, but not the same.

And I'm pretty sure, as I'm not familiar with café crème, that it is what we call un cappucino. I found this glossary and this other one but there are many more.

Camis12

England, English
    A noisette is 'un café' with a dash of milk. Ie it's in a tiny cup/expresso cup. For me (in Paris) a café crème and a café au lait are the same thing, but they both come in a larger cup than a café or a noisette.

Aquarelle

USA
    French - English
    A Paris, si vous voulez un café crème avec un peu plus de lait que la "dose" habituelle, vous demandez: "un crème bien blanc"

orlando09

English (England)
    It seems to me like this is a regional thing - I never hear people talk about café au lait for a milky coffee in the south-east, always café crème (or un crème) - which comes in normal-sized or large cup, with plenty of hot milk in it, and is not necessarily very frothy. These days people might also ask for a cappuccino, but that is understood to be Italian style - very frothy on the top and with a dash of chocolate powder etc. I noticed people say café au lait on holiday in the Jura, for example. It is quite confusing as, to an English speaker, you might think café crème was eg. a coffee with a jug of cream of something.

< Previous | Next >