caffeine monkey

< Previous | Next >

andy0210

Russian
Hi there,

I've stumbled upon the expression "caffeine monkey". I wonder if it is in wide use to refer to someone who is a compulsive coffee drrinker.

• entangledbank

English - South-East England
    No, it's not, and I'm not quite sure how to understand it. We do have expressions 'X monkey' where 'monkey' basically just means "person", or "person low down in the hierarchy; person we don't pay much attention to". So a caffeine monkey would be someone who uses caffeine and who - hmmm, who isn't very important? who doesn't have an important role in the organization? The rough idea is there, but it isn't clear what exactly is meant.

mplsray

Hi there,

I've stumbled upon the expression "caffeine monkey". I wonder if it is in wide use to refer to someone who is a compulsive coffee drrinker.
    A search of Google for

"caffeine monkey" coffee

shows it as being generally used as a metaphor for the dependence upon caffeine, rather than for the person who is dependent.

Valvs

Russian
    Andy, could we have some context please? While your expression may refer to a caffeine user, it may just as well means something else.

Edit: mplsray's post is a good example of what I was speaking about. And no one can guarantee that the phrase didn't mean yet another thing in the context where you saw it.

Last edited:

Myridon

English - US
    "having a monkey on your back" is an idiom for having an addiction so people could be playing with that phrase.

< Previous | Next >