Caffeine unbalanced by other coffee compounds

azuki

Japanese
Hello everybody,

The following is an excerpt from an article, titled as "Caffeine Risks May Rattle Diabetic People", appeared in "WebMD", Jan 28, 2008.

In fact, van Dam says, it appears that decaf coffee may actually help people keep their blood sugar under control, whereas regular coffee has a detrimental effect on blood sugar. Caffeine unbalanced by other coffee compounds, he says, may be even worse. (near the end of the article)

I can figure out the bold refers to "caffeine contained in regular coffee. But what does "other coffee compounds" mean in the context? Could anybody explain?

Thank you in advance,

azuki

• suzi br

English / England
    Presumably it means whatever else there is in coffee from a chemical point of view. Not being a chemist I cannot say what they might exactly be!

Unbalanced seems an odd choice of verb here, really. Does this look like a translation?

AutumnOwl

-
    Swedish
    Caffeine unbalanced by other coffee compounds, he says, may be even worse.

I can figure out the bold refers to "caffeine contained in regular coffee. But what does "other coffee compounds" mean in the context? Could anybody explain?
    The bold doesn't mean "caffeine contained in regular coffee", it means when taking for example caffeine capsules or the caffeine in soft drinks/energy drinks. In the beginning of the article there is a discussion about a study that showed that when people took caffeine capsules their blood sugar level got higher than when they drank coffee. When drinking coffee the other chemicals in the coffee, "the other coffee compounds" balances the caffeine and keeps the blood sugar lower than if taking caffeine as capsules.

Last edited:

azuki

Japanese
    Thank you for answering my question, suzi br and autumnowl. Your explanation cleared up all my doubts! azuki:)

< Previous | Next >