I have some questions (pronunciation, stress etc;
but also origin and meaning).
Would you take a look?
Thank you
bj

• Samaruc

Valencià/Català, Castellano
    Hi Bonjules,

The pronunciation of the word varies a little depending on the dialect. The main pronunciations are /kə.γə.'ne/, /ka.γa.'ne/ or /ka.γa.'neɾ/. (The "γ" isn't a "y", it sounds like the English "g" in "August").

Here you can find some information about the "caganer".

Bonjules

German
    Thank you so much for the info, Samaruc!
    What a great little character to have near the 'holy' scene(if I don't find anybody to send me one, I will have
    to make myself one, for sure.).
    Have a great holiday!
    bj

panjabigator

Am. English
    Hi Bonjules,

The pronunciation of the word varies a little depending on the dialect. The main pronunciations are /kə.γə.'ne/, /ka.γa.'ne/ or /ka.γa.'neɾ/. (The "γ" isn't a "y", it sounds like the English "g" in "August").

Here you can find some information about the "caganer".
    Pots identificar segons el dialect quin sintagma va amb quin dialect?

Samaruc

Thank you so much for the info, Samaruc!
    What a great little character to have near the 'holy' scene(if I don't find anybody to send me one, I will have
    to make myself one, for sure.).
    Have a great holiday!
    bj
    Yes, it’s a strange figure... I remember, when I was a child, that this was the most interesting figure for the children, it was normally hidden in a corner, behind a tree, among rocks... When we visited our friends to see their Betlem (the Nativity scene), the first thing we used to do was looking for the caganer... and the last one, just before leaving and when nobody saw us, was placing it just in front of the holy scene... Well, we were just children.

Bon Nadal!

Samaruc

Pots identificar segons el dialecte quin sintagma va amb quin dialecte?
    I tant, Panja. Ací ho tens:

Bàsicament:

• Catalunya oriental, Illes Balears, ¿Catalunya del Nord?: /kə.γə.'ne/
    • Catalunya occidental, Franja de Ponent, Nord del País Valencià, Andorra, ¿l’Alguer?: /ka.γa.'ne/
    • Major part del País Valencià, el Carxe: /ka.γa.'neɾ/

Com que dissortadament tinc poques ocasions d’escoltar gent de Catalunya del Nord i de l’Alguer, no estic segur del tot del seu accent, així que puc estar equivocat.

Bones Festes!

Manda

català/castellano
    last day I explained to my native teacher what was the caganer and the cagatió and she said that we are obsessed with shitting xD

Mei

Catalonia Catalan & Spanish
    last day I explained to my native teacher what was the caganer and the cagatió and she said that we are obsessed with shitting xD
    Yes, I heard many people saying that... We have no problem to say how our physiological day was, right? :rolleyes:

Mei

I don't have my Betlem ready yet! :eek: Ay ay ay... Hope Santa doesn't notice...:eek:

< Previous | Next >