cagare fuori dalla tazza

giuppi

Italian - Italy
:warn::warn: warning: foul expression!

Questa é una espressione che piace molto al mio capo. Serve ad indicare un comportamento eccessivo.

Ad esempio, i nostri venditori (salespeople) ´:warn: cagano sempre fuori dalla tazza´ perché, al fine di vendere di piú, vantano prestazioni che i nostri prodotti non hanno.

Ora, come traduco la frase al team di venditori estero? Esistono in inglese equivalenti volgari e meno volgari?

Grazie dell´aiuto

• Siberia

UK-Wales - English
    You say "to bite off more than you can chew"
    It's not vulgar, can't think of one at present.

Welpa

English, Australia
    I know that it's quite vulgar, but I love how evocative the phrase "cagare fuori dal vaso" is. The literal translation would be something like "shitting out of the can"... but what is the right translation? What are the contexts in which one might use this phrase?

Thanks!

Welpa

English, Australia
    Cool, thanks.

I'm not sure that there is a standard phrase in English for this. I've heard it used quite a few times in Italy, it's funny that Italians have a need for this phrase yet it does not seem to exist in English!

miri

Italy/Italian
    Isn't the meaning very similar to that of "pisciare fuori"(vulgar) = To misinterpret, to get something wrong,to misunderstand?

An English equivalent could be "screw something up" either by saying or doing something wrong.
    Colloquial Italian synonyms are "cannare", "toppare".

Last edited:

Welpa

English, Australia
    I had the impression that it was more like something Paulfromitaly is describing, ie:

Both:
    1) Doing something wrong/inappropriate, and
    2) Doing it with a pigheaded/arrogant attitude.

But then again, I'm not really sure... Just the impression I got from some of the contexts that I heard it used in.

jada79

Italy, Italian
    I´d just like to add that I use this sentence in a slightly different meaning. Maybe it is relate to different regions..
    So, when I say "cagare furoi dal vaso" it means I am doing something which is too much for my abilities or possibilities.
    for ex: if you can ski only like a beginner and you go on a black slope -> "l´hai cagata fuori dal vaso!" because a black slope is too much for you.

mikante

italian
    Like at work, a guy's always asking for your help, you are always nice and willing to help. When this guy comes for the hundredth of time and he asks once again for your help, you can say "adesso hai proprio cagato fuori dal cesso/vaso - you have just pushed it too far".

Welpa

English, Australia
    Excellent, thanks for all the replies. So it seems that this phrase is used in many different contexts. Maybe it's best left undefined! :)

underhouse

Italian
    I don't quite agree with the definitions so far: that's true that it means doing something wrong or inappropriate, but the nuance here is that by doing so you are pushing the boundaries within which your behaviour should be restricted.

I would translate this expression as "to cross the line".
    Thinking of it, it is quite similar to the Italian expression too: when one "caga fuori dal vaso", is actually crossing a line. :)

Of course, the register is different.

london calling

UK English
    I don't quite agree with the definitions so far: that's true that it means doing something wrong or inappropriate, but the nuance here is that by doing so you are pushing the boundaries within which your behaviour should be restricted.

I would translate this expression as "to cross the line". Yes, we say that, or "to overstep the line", to mean "you push things too far". I can't think of a more colourful expression for that....:(

< Previous | Next >