cahier de brouillon

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by Jessila, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Jessila

Jessila Senior Member

France
    France, french
    Hello,

I was looking for a translation of "cahier de brouillon"... My French-English dictionary gave me "rough-book", which I also found here (minus the hyphen): http://en.bab.la/dictionary/french-english/cahier-de-brouillon
    but I couldn't find "roughbook" nor "rough-book" in any of my unilingual dictionaries :confused:
    On-line, I tried word-reference and dictionary.com, and in printed form I tried the Concise Oxford English Dictionary as well as the Cambridge Advanced Learner's dictionary (both recent editions) and there was no reference to this word...

Is it self-explanatory enough for an English native to understand it?
    Is there another expression more common perhaps?

2. jann

jann co-mod'

English - USA
    If it's for artistic things (unlined white pages, nice paper), I would call it a "sketchbook."

If it's just for general purposes (taking notes in class, jotting down ideas, etc.), I would call it a "notebook." If the format is like this (non-removal pages of writing paper bound with a spine, and approximately 20x25cm), then you can call it a "composition book."

In (American) English, we don't need to indicate that the specific purpose of the notebook (brouillons).

I have never heard of a "rough book," but in context I assume I would be able to guess what it meant.

3. Enquiring Mind

Enquiring Mind Senior Member

UK/Česká republika
    English - the Queen's
  4. Jessila

Jessila Senior Member

France
    France, french
    Ok, thank you both for your help :)

jann > it's for general purposes but not specifically to take down notes... it can serve many purposes: doing exercises, copying the lesson several times to help memorizing it, writing the first draft of a small essay, etc.

5. Suehil

Suehil Medemod

Tillou, France
    British English
    At school we had a 'roughbook' for exactly what you describe. The school was in the UK. :)

6. Jinnifah Senior Member

Canada
    Canada, English
    In Canada, I would call it a notebook or scribbler.

7. edwingill Senior Member

England English
    "notebook for rough drafts"

8. Bordelais Senior Member

Bordeaux
    English - British
    When I was at school we called it a "jotter".

9. franc 91 Senior Member

France
    English - GB
    Yes we used to call it a jotter too