(cake cooking/cooking cake) class

ESC85

Korean
If I tag along with my friend to a class which teaches people how to cook cakes, is that class is A or B?

A. a cake-cooking class
B. a cooking-cake class

Thank you for your time.

• Copyright

American English
    A: a cake-cooking class (although it would probably be called a "cake-making" class.)

A dog-grooming class.
    A wood-carving class.
    A dress-making class.

JamesM

Here, we bake cakes.
    Yes, but would you call it a "cake-baking class"? I prefer Copyright's "cake-making class" if I had to add a qualifier of some kind.

To me, a lot of the finer details of making a cake lie in the presentation and the decoration. The baking is just one part of the process.

Myridon

English - US
    To me, a lot of the finer details of making a cake lie in the presentation and the decoration.
    Cake-decorating classes are very common but I don't think I've heard of a cake-cooking/-making/-baking class. It would probably just be a baking class or a cake class.

Myridon

English - US
    When someone asks about our hobbies, replying "cooking food and cake" is a correct answer?
    I would say "cooking and baking." "Food" is obvious and "baking cakes" is sounds very specific (you probably bake other things as well).
    You could even say just "cooking" and people would probably assume that it includes "baking".

Hermione Golightly

British English
    When someone asks about our hobbies, replying "cooking food and cake" is a correct answer?
    "Cooking food" is usually described simply as "cooking". We understand that it means cooking food. We assume that it means all sorts of food including dessert/desserts and cake/cakes, bread/breads.
    'Cake' and 'cakes' are a sort of food. If we want to emphasise that we like baking/making cakes, we can choose between structures and vocabulary.
    "I like cake-making/cake-baking". I speak British English and the British are the world's best cake-makers. 'Making' is the entirety of the creative endeavour. The 'baking' is but one part of that.

You could even say just "cooking" and people would probably assume that it includes "baking".
    Very true from a British perspective.

MarcB

US English
    Nowadays there are a lot of cooking /baking shows on TV both in the UK and in the US. I often hear people distinguishing between cooking and baking, some people say I do one and not the other. The two disciplines are considered different in that cooking can be from a recipe or improvisation, banking on the other hand almost always requires exact amounts of ingredients.

< Previous | Next >