Calcul à une date donnée

Larissa2000

English USA
Hi, I wanted to verify I understood this term "Calcul à une date donnée"

Does it mean: "Calculation Based on a Given Date"?

Dans ce cas le calcul prend en compte les critères suivants : Les équipements ou objets sont pris en compte si à la date de calcul , ils sont présents dans la base, c'est-à-dire que leur date d’entrée est antérieure à la date de calcul. ex: Date de calcul : 06/08/03 Date d'entrée : 05/08/03 -> comptabilisé

Thanks.

• Martyn94

Banned
    English
    Yes, the criteria is : date of entering in the database < current date.
    Criteria is a plural noun. You might say that the calculation is made "as at a given date". The point is that things that happened after the given date are not taken into account, even though the given date is now in the past.

Martyn94

Banned
    English
    I thought criteria was invariable, my bad. MS Access help goes wrong :)
    It's from Greek: singular "criterion"; plural "criteria". But it's got wrong as often as it is got right (though not quite so badly, I think, as to make it de facto singular, like "data").

Larissa2000

English USA
    Criteria is a plural noun. You might say that the calculation is made "as at a given date". The point is that things that happened after the given date are not taken into account, even though the given date is now in the past.
    Thank you Martyn - now how to word this?

Calculation made at a given date

That sounds OK to me - what do others think?

Martyn94

Banned
    English
    I've suggested "calculation as at a given date": if others think that is wrong they have not yet said so.

Larissa2000

English USA
    I've suggested "calculation as at a given date": if others think that is wrong they have not yet said so.
    Thanks, I thought you were explaining more than phrasing it. The "as at" sounds a bit odd to me. I'll wait to see if anyone else comments.

Martyn94

Banned
    English
    It is an odd-sounding expression. But it is good (and I think the best) idiomatic English for the case you are concerned with. That is why I offered it to you, and put it in quotes to indicate that it was a translation, despite its possible strange sound to you.

Wordsmyth

Native language: English (BrE)
    There's a difference between "at" and "as at". "As at" means something like "as it was at" (or is or will be, etc).

"Calculation at a given date" could be ambiguous. It could be taken to mean:
    - "calculation made on a given date" (6/8/03 in Larissa's example), or ...
    - "calculation based on the status at a given date" (5/8/03 in the example)

If we're talking about 5/8/03 in this example, then Martyn's "as at" is appropriate:
    - "calculation as at a given date (5/8/03)" stands for "calculation [of the ??? (stock?, value?, ...)] as [it was] at 5/8/03"

But if we're talking about 6/8/03 in the example, then "as at" isn't appropriate, and I would put :
    - "calculation made
    on a given date"

[Edit]: PS. Just seen lilison's post: For me, "as of" is the same as "as at".

Ws
    :)

Last edited:

Larissa2000

English USA
    Thank you all. I followed Wordsmyth's and Martyn's suggestion. While "as at" sounds weird to me, I understand it now to be the right choice.

< Previous | Next >