California split

Estella

Turkey, Turkish
Hello,

Is this a kind of house?

"She lived in a nice neighborhood of old houses and newer California splits."

Google hits are mainly about a movie of the same name, so they dont help...

Thanks in advance!

• SwissPete

Français (CH), AE (California)
    Split level house, I would guess.

See wiki here:
    A split-level home (also called a tri-level home) is a style of house in which the floor level of one part of the house is about half way between the floor and ceiling of the other part of the house.

Loob

English UK
    I imagine "splits" refers to "split-level houses".

But you really need an AmE speaker to tell you whether I'm right:D

EDIT: Snap, Pete!

MichaelW

English (British)
    There's a lot about splits here. The general idea seems to be to split the rooms in a property, as SwissPete says, into different areas so that each area has a potentially different function but the stairs between each level are shallow for easy access.

Estella

Turkey, Turkish
    yeah, i guess he means "split-level houses" by that. And I'm assuming it's typically Californian, although I have no idea how houses look like over there!

Estella

Turkey, Turkish
    oh, right, thanks, this helps!

so i guess there is a staircase from the second storey on the left side leading down to the first storey above the garage and another one leading up from the first storey on the left side to the one above the garage (too complicated!). This reminds me of the house in Wide Sargasso Sea, the house which the main character grows up in had the same kind of steps everywhere, i think because it was built on an uneven surface. they didnt call it by this name though.

< Previous | Next >