call a meeting

petalito

Colombia - Spanish
I was asked to set up a meeting with the sales department. In an email, could I say something like:

This is to call a meeting to present the final project...
or
call for a meeting

• Gwan

New Zealand, English
    'Call a meeting', not 'call for a meeting', in this case.

You can say 'the president called for a meeting of heads of state to discuss...' which would mean that the president suggested that a meeting would be a good idea. If the plans were underway, then he would call the meeting by inviting all the leaders and setting a time.

sdgraham

USA English
    I was asked to set up a meeting with the sales department. In an email, could I say something like:

This is to call a meeting to present the final project...
    or
    call for a meeting
    If you "call a meeting" you are the organizer, i.e. you call on the participants to show up, although you might or might not chair the meeting itself.

If you "call for a meeting" you are issuing some sort of request that somebody else should organize a meeting and summon the participants.

In any event, it seems that "This is to call a meeting to present the final project..." is wordy and unnecessary.

I would just issue a meeting notice giving the details. If you do that, it's obvious that you're calling a meeting.

I do realize that different cultures value flowery language, however.

< Previous | Next >