call (computer programming)

angela.fan

China Chinese/English
HI all,

The MSG structure must contain valid message values. If the lpmsg parameter points to a WM_TIMER message and the lParam parameter of the WM_TIMER message is not NULL, lParam points to a function that is called instead of the window procedure.

What the meaning of "that is called" here?

Thanks in advance

Angela

• Moogey

USA English
    This is programming language.

I am a programmer, so I understand what they mean :D

They mean when a function is executed. If you execute a function, it's called. If you're going to learn programming through the English langauge, you'll see this used a lot. In fact, 'call' seems to be the only word used when you mean when a function is executed.

I assume you've gotten to functions (in your book/manual), yes?

-M

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    In computer programs, functions may be "called". A function is a chunk of code. Calling a chunk of code causes it to be executed with a return to the instruction following the call instruction (hopefully).

There is no ambiguity or imprecision in these sentences and in their context they are very clear.

If the specified conditions are not met, the window procedure is called.

If the specified conditions are met, the function indicated by the address in lParam is called.

It's very simple really.

angela.fan

China Chinese/English
    panjandrum said:
    In computer programs, functions may be "called". A function is a chunk of code. Calling a chunk of code causes it to be executed with a return to the instruction following the call instruction (hopefully).

There is no ambiguity or imprecision in these sentences and in their context they are very clear.

If the specified conditions are not met, the window procedure is called.

If the specified conditions are met, the function indicated by the address in lParam is called.

It's very simple really.

Thank you so much:)

Now i got it

Angela