call in coffee order

< Previous | Next >

edharcourt

French - France
Bonjour à tous.

I'm not exactly sure what "call in" means in the following context:

(Canada) A woman cuts in line to get her coffee first (at a coffee shop) and when a friend of hers who's just been served her cup sees that, she goes:
"Calling in your coffee orders now?"
"yes, that's the only way I'm going to get through this double shift"

Does she mean "cutting in line to get your coffee" or "order your coffees by phone" ?
Or something else... !?
Thanks.

• livedthere

English - US
    I think it really depends on whether the woman cutting in line actually just placed her order (after cutting into the line) or whether she was merely picking up an order which had been placed in absentia (perhaps with an app on her smartphone).

If the situation is the former, then the friend is using sarcasm to gently scold her friend for not waiting in line like everybody else.
    If the situation is the latter, then the friend is, in a way, complimenting her on her ingenuity to get quicker service.

edharcourt

French - France
    I think it really depends on whether the woman cutting in line actually just placed her order (after cutting into the line) or whether she was merely picking up an order which had been placed in absentia (perhaps with an app on her smartphone).

If the situation is the former, then the friend is using sarcasm to gently scold her friend for not waiting in line like everybody else.
    If the situation is the latter, then the friend is, in a way, complimenting her on her ingenuity to get quicker service.
    She merely picks her order so I guess she either called or used an app (I didn't even know you could do that!) beforehand.
    Thanks a million.
    Ed.

livedthere

English - US
    Not to offer unpaid advertising to any corporate giant, that is possible with the Starbucks app (at least where I live in Silicon Valley). It is not possible by calling. That would be too low-tech.

< Previous | Next >