Call the siege off

Sand91

Italian
Hi everyone,

I'm a comic book writer and I'm currently working on an historical graphic novel with medieval warfare in it. Here's my doubt: character A tells character B to pack his things and leave the stronghold, in order to put an end to a long siege. Now, can character A say "Character B, call the siege off!"? my doubt is about the usage of calling + someting + off in this case. Is it correct?

Thanks in advance guys :)

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    The only person who can call off a siege is the leader of the besieging army. Nobody who is under siege can call off the siege.

To call something off = to declare something to be at an end.

Sand91

Italian
    The only person who can call off a siege is the leader of the besieging army. Nobody who is under siege can call off the siege.

To call something off = to declare something to be at an end.
    That's kinda my point. Say you are the leader of the besieging army and I am the leader of the army defending the city that's under siege. We meet and I yell at you "Hey, call off the siege and leave this city forever!" or something like that. Would that be correct?

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    Grammatically and idiomatically, it is OK but, as the leader of the besieging army, I would either ignore you or kill you. :D

(I've just noticed that you are a new member! Welcome to WRF!)

Sand91

Italian
    Grammatically and idiomatically, it is OK but, as the leader of the besieging army, I would either ignore you or kill you. :D

(I've just noticed that you are a new member! Welcome to WRF!)

Exactly! a puny threat that would go nowhere is exactely what I'm looking for in that particular line of dialogue! :D

Anyway thanks man, both for the help and the welcome! both very much appreciated! :D

Have a great weekend!

< Previous | Next >