called for Putin to go in the biggest protest yet against his rule

yuguoguohjl

China- Mandarin and a dialect
Hello people:
I was reading a newspaper article about anti-Putin protest. And there is two sentences I just can't understand.

1st.
Protesters waved banners, loosed balloons and called for Putin to go in the biggest protest yet against his rule.
The confusion is caused mainly because I don't know how to divide this sentence.

<< Second question deleted. >>

Can somebody please help?

Bibliography
Elder, Miriam. "Russian Anti-Putin Protests Draw Thousands to Moscow Again | World News | Guardian.co.uk." Latest US News, World News, Sport and Comment from the Guardian | Guardiannews.com | The Guardian. Web. 15 Feb. 2012. <http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/dec/24/russia-europe-news>.

Last edited:
  • Copyright

American English
    I'll trust you to name your source for us (Rule) and answer your first question. :)

Protesters waved banners, loosed balloons and called for Putin to go [away] in the biggest protest yet against his rule. (In this case, my "away" means to leave office.)

Another way to look at it:
    In the biggest protest yet against his rule, protesters waved banners, loosed balloons and called for Putin to go.

Last edited:

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    Protesters [...] called for Putin to go in the biggest protest yet against his rule.
    Subject...........verb..........object......................adverbial phrase

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Copyright's rephrasing (post #2) is much better than the original; the latter was ambiguous, because the adverbial phrase was misplaced.

< Previous | Next >