Calling on behalf of someone

< Previous | Next >

Melikhovo

American English
Privet,

I was hoping someone could correct me if I am mistaken on this. I wanted to say: "I am calling on behalf of Dr. ______". I am obviously the "middle man" trying to convey important info to a patient.

Could I say:

здравствуйте, я звоню от имени Доктора ______.
или
я от Доктора ______.

???

Spasibo!

• Maroseika

Russian
    От имени is too pathetic here, and besides, от имени can bear juridical sense, that is hardly the case.
    Natural way to say "on behalf" in this context would be Я звоню по поручению (по просьбе) доктора...
    От доктора... is also possible, but is the least formal.
    By the way, доктор is not capitalized in Russian.

YMOPA

Russian
    От имени is too pathetic :confused: here, and besides, от имени can bear juridical sense, that is hardly the case.
    Natural way to say "on behalf" in this context would be Я звоню по поручению (по просьбе) доктора...
    От доктора... is also possible, but is the least formal.
    By the way, доктор is not capitalized in Russian.
    The English word "pathetic" does not mean "с пафосом", look it up. You must have meant, "pompous" and such. To me, in this context, "от имени" sounds a bit official but I hear it spoken all the time in this very context. It's totally fine, and may be even more appropriate if there was no explicit request to talk this matter over from the abovementioned MD or PhD.

Maroseika

Russian
    The English word "pathetic" does not mean "с пафосом", look it up. You must have meant, "pompous" and such.
    Thanks for correction.

To me, in this context, "от имени" sounds a bit official but I hear it spoken all the time in this very context. It's totally fine, and may be even more appropriate if there was no explicit request to talk this matter over from the abovementioned MD or PhD.
    Do you mean it is appropriate if a doctor's secretary is calling someone to check his appointment or something like that? In this situation this turn of speech seems to me quite irrelevant and the first thing I would think having heard this, is that the secretary is a foreigner.

Last edited:

igusarov

Russian
    I would say that "от имени" can be used if you wanted to be solemn. For example:
    "От имени доктора Столетова и всего коллектива нашей клиники разрешите поблагодарить Вас за Ваш щедрый дар!"

In casual context I would expect the secretary to say something simple like:
    "Здравствуйте! Я помощник доктора Столетова. Доктор просил сообщить (передать) Вам, что ..."
    "Здравствуйте! Вас беспокоят из клиники доктора Столетова. Результаты Ваших анализов ..."

Also note that the phrase "я от доктора D" have other meanings, and I think that "on behalf" is not the primary one. For example, such phrase is often used in cases where there was some previous communication between the doctor and the callee, and the doctor had introduced the caller and probably had given some recommendation. For example: "Здравствуйте! Я от доктора Столетова. Доктор сказал, что у Вас можно получить место в ординатуре." Thus, it may have a connotation that doesn't quite suit the middle man.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >