came forth to his doom

nima_persian

Banned
persian(فارسی)
But, on one side of the portal, and rooted almost at the threshold, was a wild rose-bush, covered, in this month of June, with its delicate gems, which might be imagined to offer their fragrance and fragile beauty to the prisoner as he went in, and to the condemned criminal as he came forth to his doom, in token that the deep heart of Nature could pity and be kind to him.

Have I correctly interpreted the concept behind the bold part? and could you possibly tell me what come forth to somebody's doom could be meant in this context?

The kindness of Nature is interpreted as when Nature presents its fragrance to the criminal who is going to death( he came forth to his doom)-- i.e., although the criminal has done bad things and is going to death or passing a sentence, in fact Nature offers its kindness through its beauty, fragrance et cetera.

Thank you in advance

Extracted from the book The Scarlet Letter

http://www.sparknotes.com/nofear/lit/the-scarlet-letter/chapter-1/

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    and to the condemned criminal as he came forth to his doom, in token that the deep heart of Nature could pity and be kind to him.
    =
    and to the criminal
    who had been sentenced to death as he came out from it and towards his execution, as a sign that the compassionate heart of Nature was able to feel pity [for him] and be kind to him.

Unless there is other context, "The kindness of Nature is interpreted as when Nature" is not correct as it is not stated or implied in the passage.

nima_persian

Banned
    persian(فارسی)
    Thank you so much but he came out from it ? he came out from what??

Would you please tell me how the following sentence is related to the previous sentence?

in token that the deep heart of Nature could pity and be kind to him.

Last edited:

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    Thank you so much but he came out from it ? he came out from what??
    The door[way] [portal] that has a threshold that has a rose.
    Would you please tell me how the following sentence is related to the previous sentence?
    in token that the deep heart of Nature could pity and be kind to him.
    Note the colours of the words in your example and my version: I have coloured the changes.

nima_persian

Banned
    persian(فارسی)
    First thanks.

So, although the criminal had done some crimes, in fact, Nature is still kind to the one, as Nature exposes its beauty and etc to the criminal.

Am I right?

< Previous | Next >