came the land/ beyond the means

< Previous | Next >

learning_grenglish

India
Sarala made an agreement before the village council with the rich man, who agreed to buy eveything according to her pattern. Sarala began to calculate as follows :
First the hen : 2 rupees
Then the calf : 2 x 2 = 4 rupees
Then the cow : 4 x 4 = 16 rupees
Then the bull : 16 x 16 = 256 rupees.
The thought of paying two hundred and fifty six for a bull shocked the rich man but Sarala reminded him of his agreement. The council members also reminded him of his agreement. Next Sarala offered him the house as per her pattern which cost 256 x 256 = 65,536 rupees. Next came the land which was 65,536 x 65,536 = 4,29,49,67296.
This sum was beyond the means of the rich man and he hold Sarala the he could not pay her that amount. The council members then told him that he would have to give all he had to Sarala and also go to jail for not keeping the agreement.
[source : my notebook]

I wonder, what does "means" mean in this context?
Also, in this, "Next came the land which was .........", I wonder, how "the land can walk to come somewhere".
Could you help me on this?

• Musical Chairs

Japan & US, Japanese & English
    It only says "next came the land" because before, there were a number of other things that he had agreed to buy. It was next in a series of things. It didn't actually walk or do anything physically.

"Beyond the means of the rich man" means the rich man couldn't pay for it. He didn't have a way to pay for all those things.

< Previous | Next >