<came through> the Boise regional office

VicNicSor

Banned
Russian
— I've been tracking this case since it came through the Boise regional office last month. Last week, for reasons I can't figure out, it was deprioritised. They shelved this case without an investigation, Scully.
The X-Files, TV series

Considering Mulder's FBI headquarters are in Washington D.C., does "come though" here mean the case arrived from Boise to Washington? If so, what does "through" exactly mean here?
Thanks.

• Barque

Tamil
    I understand it as having this meaning (from the WR dictionary): by the means or instrumentality of; by the way or agency of: It was through him they found out.

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    I understand it as having this meaning (from the WR dictionary): by the means or instrumentality of; by the way or agency of: It was through him they found out.
    But then it sounds like the Boise regional office was not the source of the case, but like a connecting link. Like, first it came to Boise regional office from somewhere, and then to Washington. Is that what it means?

Glenfarclas

English (American)
    No, not for me. Even if a case is only handled by a single office, it still goes "through" that office conceptually, in the sense that the facts and evidence come in and some kind of solution or resolution goes out. It has nothing to do with whether authority over the case is transferred to a different office.

For that reason, it also makes sense to write things like "Were media lawyers asleep at the wheel when a major whistleblower case came through the Supreme Court this term?" The case doesn't go anywhere else; the Supreme Court is, by definition, the court of last resort. But it did go through the Court, entering as a stack of documents and leaving in the form of a judgment and opinion.

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    Ah, I see. Do I correctly understand then that the OP quote doesn't tell us whether the documents were physically moved from Boise to D.C., I mean, he could've just tracked this case while it was in Boise -- how it was deprioritised and shelved there?

Glenfarclas

English (American)
    I suppose that's possible, but through implies, to me, at least some sort of disposition. It could be by resolving the case, by transferring it, or even by rejecting it altogther. Since this one was never resolved and is in fact still being "held" somewhere, I would guess that it was transferred out of Boise.

< Previous | Next >