camels could no more be counted than the sand on seashores

drinkwater

Taiwanese Mandarin
Hi. Here's the verse extracted from the Book of Judges 7:12 (NIV)

Their camels could no more be counted than the sand on the seashore.

I want to know whether it tells me that the amount of their camels is equal to the amount of the sand on the seashore, figuratively, of course, or less than it.

Thanks for the help.

• sdgraham

USA English
    Hi. Here's the verse extracted from the Book of Judges 7:12 (NIV)

Their camels could no more be counted than the sand on the seashore.

I want to know whether it tells me that the amount of their camels is equal to the amount of the sand on the seashore, figuratively, of course, or less than it.

Thanks for the help.
    Neither one. You cannot read that into it.

All it is is saying is that there were too many camels to count.

sound shift

English - England
    It's a comparison. It means that counting their camels would have been just as difficult as counting the grains of sand on the seashore. It's impossible to count the grains of sand on the seashore, so the implication is that it was impossible to count their camels. Clearly there were too many camels to count, as sdgraham said.

drinkwater

Taiwanese Mandarin
    It's a comparison. It means that counting their camels would have been just as difficult as counting the grains of sand on the seashore. It's impossible to count the grains of sand on the seashore, so the implication is that it was impossible to count their camels. Clearly there were too many camels to count, as sdgraham said.
    Could you make a similar sentence withe the same structure (no more... than...)? Thanks a lot.

< Previous | Next >