1. ocho8 New Member

Spanish-Spain
    Buenas,

alguien puede ayudarme con esta expresión? (camp as coffee) Lo siento, pero no tengo mucho más contexto. Creo que en mi frase se utiliza para calificar a un viejo actor.

Muchas gracias.

2. Masood

Masood Senior Member

Leicester, England
    British English
    We might need a bit more context. There is a brand of coffee/chicory called 'Camp'. 'Camp' can also mean 'effeminate', which may be how the actor is being described.

3. Dale123456 Senior Member

England UK
    English
    De acuerdo con Masood

"camp as coffee" = " afeminado" y es una frase sólo por un hombre .

4. albertovidal

albertovidal Senior Member

Bs.As.-Argentina
    Castellano, Argentina
    I know "camp" means "afeminado" but why the comparison with "coffee"?

5. Dale123456 Senior Member

England UK
    English
    Albertovidal,

Camp in the UK is a type of cheap coffee.........hence "as camp as coffee" is a British play on words.

6. albertovidal

Bs.As.-Argentina
    Castellano, Argentina
    So it would be something like "cheaply gay"?

7. Dale123456 Senior Member

England UK
    English
    Depending on the context, it could be " cheaply gay".....but that would surely be " as camp as Camp" LOL

It really just means " camp" and is used to add a touch more emphasis on the fact.

8. albertovidal

Bs.As.-Argentina
    Castellano, Argentina
    Thanks for your answer. Now it's quite clear to me.

9. SydLexia Senior Member

London, EU
    UK English
    You can say someone is "as camp as a row of tents".

See the description of the label on the bottle in the Wikipedia article here to see the 'camp/tent' connection.

syd

10. ocho8 New Member

Spanish-Spain
    Thank you for all your answers, I suspected the meaning was something like "afeminado" but you gave me an explanation!

11. Spug Senior Member

This is interesting, and may indicate another difference between British English and American English. In AE, camp does not necessarily mean effeminate in all contexts, although it often does. Rather, it refers to something that is humorous because it is somewhat ridiculous. This wikipedia article explains it very well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camp_(style)

12. gengo

gengo Senior Member

I totally agree. Although there is overlap between camp and gay, there are many contexts in which there is no connection at all. The old Batman TV show of the 1960's was extremely camp, but had nothing to do with being gay (well, we always wonder about Batman and Robin, but...).

This phrase is certainly a British one, because we don't have Camp coffee in the US, as far as I know. However, I'm sure that another reason for coining the phrase was the pleasant alliteration between the words camp and coffee.

Ocho8, in your case, go with what the British foreros tell you. I guess they are referring to an effeminate old actor.

13. Spug Senior Member

That's an excellent example of something that is camp but not effeminate in AE.

14. aurilla Senior Member

Puerto Rico
    Am Eng/PR Spanish
    It's similar to saying "as fairy as Cinderella's godmother."