Camp (countable, uncountable)

Discussion in 'English Only' started by interwrit, Apr 24, 2013.

1. interwrit Senior Member

Polish
    Hi there! :)

Is a noun "camp" as a place where chiefly young people go on vacation and take part in activities countable or uncountable? An example can be like this: "She spent two weeks at wrestling camp this summer./She spent two weeks at a wrestling camp this summer."

Many thanks in advance! :)

2. JustKate

JustKate Moderate Mod

Camp is definitely countable, e.g., "She went to a basketball camp and a space camp last summer" (or "She went to basketball and space camps last summer," though that's a bit less clear) and "The Girl Scouts and the Campfire Girls both have camps in this area."

3. Myridon

Myridon Senior Member

Texas
    English - US
    I think it can be used uncountably as well if you are speaking of "wrestling camp" as an activity rather than a specific place so I would say that both are correct.
    She spent two weeks at wrestling camp. = She was participating in the activity.
    She spent two weeks at a wrestling camp. = She was physically present at Minihaha Wrestling Camp. She may have been a camper, an employee, or she may have stayed there for some other reason.

4. JustKate

JustKate Moderate Mod

Sorry - I didn't mean to imply that camp is always countable, just that it can be. Myridon is absolutely right.

5. interwrit Senior Member

Polish
    Well, thanks a million! :)