camp delivery

kahroba

Persian
Dear friends
Please kindly tell me what's meant by "camp delivery" in the following context, taken from "Quentin Tarantino Interview" written by Benjamine Secher:
Physically, he could be the result of some unfortunate cartoon character mash-up... In full flow, he is every bit as entertaining as his films: witty, wacky, outrageous... His hulking, slightly hunched frame is a curious mismatch for his camp delivery, and his fidgety, childlike manner.

• Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    "Delivery" refers to the way he speaks, how he "delivers" what he says. It is being described as camp, which is an adjectival form of definition #6 of camp as a noun:
    something that is considered amusing not because of its originality but because of its unoriginality; "the livingroom was pure camp"
    "Camp" is a style that I have difficulty explaining, but it consists of mimicking conventions in a way that draws attention to the fact that they are conventions, and also makes fun of them, pointing out what is humorous about them.

He uses a lot of cliches and conventional gestures, but you know from the exaggerated manner in which he does this that he doesn't take them seriously.

looking-at-the-stars

American English
    In this context the definition of camp is "having deliberately artificial, vulgar, banal, or affectedly humorous qualities or style" and depending on the context you can deliver both lines and jokes.
    Therefore this is saying that he delivers lines/jokes in a deliberately vulgar and affectedly humorous style.

se16teddy

English - England
    Last edited:

ewie

English English
    People have been trying for decades to produce an all-embracing definition of camp. Without success. I've even tried it myself once or twice. Without success. I pity the poor translator who has to translate it ... without using 23,000 words:eek:

Matching Mole

England, English
    I had in mind what ewie just said when opening this thread to read. However, there have been some good attempts at defining it on this page, and I'd like to commend them whilst, in contrast, quoting the OED's limited and dated attempt:

Ostentatious, exaggerated, affected, theatrical; effeminate or homosexual; pertaining to or characteristic of homosexuals. So as n., ‘camp’ behaviour, mannerisms, etc. (see quot. 1909); a man exhibiting such behaviour.

The 1909 quotation is from a glossary by an editor by the name of J Ware:
    Passing Eng[lish of the Victorian era]. 61/2 Camp (Street), actions and gestures of exaggerated emphasis. Probably from the French. Used chiefly by persons of exceptional want of character. ‘How very camp he is.’

Oh dear. How things have moved on. Someone tell the OED.

ewie

English English
    Probably from the French. Used chiefly by persons of exceptional want of character.
    Oh that is brilliant, Mr.Mole:D:eek::D:eek:

Yes, there are good definitions of the term here, and I've seen good definitions of it elsewhere ... but I've yet to see a 'manageable' definition that covered all of it:)

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    There are also various sorts of camp: e.g. theatrical camp, gay camp. Sometimes theatrical camp camps up gay camp, which may have been what Tarentino was doing in his interview.

In this context I'd take camp delivery to mean that he spoke in an affected theatrical lisping manner.

< Previous | Next >