camp meeting

< Previous | Next >

PastorK

English - USA
Salut, les amis!

I'm a pastor (Catholics: think priest, only protestant) and I'm trying to translate the phrase "camp meeting."
A camp meeting was a form of religious service, highly popular in American history (especially in the 1700s and 1800s, but persisting into the 1900s) and still occasionally conducted. The practice involved people from a region joining together at a central location for religious services. As they were far from home and this pre-dated the modern tourism industry, the people camped at the location. During the day, they might picnic, converse, rest, and play. The religious services would usually be held in the evening, often under a tent or in the open air. Camp meetings lasted for a minimum of a week, and often longer. There is a strong association between camp meetings and spiritual renewal / religious revival.

So: "une réunion de camp" is literal. But perhaps "une retraite de renouveau" reflects the religious purpose better? Or got any better ideas?

Mercy buckets (la corruption ancienne de "merci beaucoup" de mon père)!

• Grop

français
    Bonjour,

I suggest "camping* de rassemblement".

* I think campement de rassemblement would make an awkward rhyme.

I suggest you don't use the noun camp, unless you plan something highly organized: this is how we call military camps, not informal, tourist camps. Camping or campement will sound more relaxed.

I am not fond of retraite (it suggests to me this is only aimed to old people, or that you are retreating from something), but maybe religious folks actually use it this way - I have no religious education.

Note "camping de rassemblement" doesn't carry the idea your event is about religion. "Retraite de renouveau" doesn't tell people they should bring their tent. You should choose something depending on what your context makes clear.

melu85

France/French
    I am not fond of retraite (it suggests to me this is only aimed to old people, or that you are retreating from something), but maybe religious folks actually use it this way - I have no religious education.
    In a religious context, "une retraite" has nothing to do with old people.

Grop

français
    In a religious context, "une retraite" has nothing to do with old people.
    D'accord, mais dans quel sens?

The only religious sense I have found in the dictionary is retiring from public life, the way monks do.

altif said:
    B. Action de se retirer de la vie active publique ou mondaine en prenant de la distance par rapport aux gens et aux choses.
    2. RELIG. Période passée à l'écart de la vie mondaine dans le but de méditation et de récollection, notamment pour se préparer à un grand acte de la vie chrétienne.
    I seriously doubt PastorK's event will be well described by the word retraite.

melu85

France/French
    une retraite, dans le sens que propose PastorK, c'est-à-dire un court séjour pendant lequel on réfléchit sur sa foi.

PastorK

English - USA
    Merci, tout le monde pour vos idées. Vous avez compris le défi: comment communiquer les deux cotés:
    Note "camping de rassemblement" doesn't carry the idea your event is about religion. "Retraite de renouveau" doesn't tell people they should bring their tent. You should choose something depending on what your context makes clear.
    "retraite de renouveau" ne signifie pas l'environnement, ni la campagne ou autre endroit eloigné, ni le cadre rustique du camping.
    "camping de rassemblement" ne signifie pas l'objectif spirituelle.
    Mais "camp meeting" signifie les deux.
    Peut-être "retraite rustique de renouveau" ou bien, "réunion de foi au terrain de camping."
    Jamais parfait . . .:(

Grop

français
    (I have already said what I think of retraite: to me this word is quite opposed to a social event where people will meet, have fun, make friends, etc).

I have thought of "camping de renouveau". Renouveau might be enough to convey the main idea (at least to people with a religious background), and camping may be enough to describe logistics.

By the way, the phrase "camping chrétien" (literally "Christian camp") seems to be used a bit, but I find it a bit too sober.

PastorK

English - USA
    Merci. I do like "camping de renouveau." It's a cleaner turn of phrase.

When I think of "camping chrétien" I think of programs we have here for children and youth. They go for a week to a retreat center or campground (usually with cabins, not tents). The week is spent in games, sports, crafts, music, loads of fun, but also Christian education--learning Bible stories, learning to pray, worship services geared towards their age level. We'd call this "going to camp" or "going to church camp." Perhaps that is what is implied by "camping chrétien"? If so, I do hope it's not an overly serious term!
    Merci!

< Previous | Next >