Camp

< Previous | Next >

Liuyihaoge

Korean-south korea
Hi Guys,

I've been watching and kinda studying(?) "To all the boys i've loved before". Then, I came across a word " Camp". I've known the meaning of it, which is the site or palce where you can stay temporarily. But i couldn't apply this meaning to the context. So, i looked upt the dictionary but i cannot find a proper definition for the situation as below. In Netflix, it is translated to "Expression" in Korean. Could someone help me "Camp" can be used as meaning of "Expression"? If not, could you please let me know what's the meaning of it?

A: What'd you do last night?
B: I finished another book. It was so good.
A: Another bodice ripper, you little perv.
B: I enjoy them for their camp.
<-----Excess quote removed by moderator (Florentia52)----->

Last edited by a moderator:
  • owlman5

English-US
    Our dictionary offers this definition for camp : Something that amuses because it is exaggerated or tasteless. This is what camp means in B's remark.

Liuyihaoge

Korean-south korea
    Thank you for both of you! To sum up, she read the book because it has not only something erotic but also something that provides sophisticated as by virtue of its being artlessly mannered or stylized. So, If i understand correctly, i guess "Expression" can be considered as a reasonable paraphrase for "Camp". Thank you again! :)

owlman5

English-US
    Thank you for both of you!
    You are welcome.

To sum up, she read the book because it has not only something erotic but also something that provides sophisticated as by virtue of its being artlessly mannered or stylized.
    (B) doesn't seem to be making any comment about their sophistication. (B) enjoys them because they are exaggerated and tasteless.

So, If i understand correctly, i guess "Expression" can be considered as a reasonable paraphrase for "Camp".
    No. Expression is not a reasonable synonym for camp. These two words are not at all close in meaning.

kentix

English - U.S.
    Camp is a particular style that is very hard to explain. You know it when you see it as a native speaker but it would be hard to explain to others, even in English. No single thing defines it but it's a combination of things. Not everyone might agree on whether a particular thing fits the concept of camp.

Liuyihaoge

Korean-south korea
    You are welcome.

(B) doesn't seem to be making any comment about their sophistication. (B) enjoys them because they are exaggerated and tasteless.

No. Expression is not a reasonable synonym for camp. These two words are not at all close in meaning.
    First of all, I would like to thank you for your feedback!:)

I actually got the idea about sophistication from this website’s dictionary. After you let me know that our dictionary has the definition, which other dictionaries do not have, I looked into the meaning of “Camp” through it on my own. And then, there is this definition, too.

Something that provided sophisticated, knowing amusement, as by virtue of its being artlessly mannered or stylized, self-consciously artificial and extravagant, or teasingly ingenuous and sentimental.

I’m not sure why, but at the time I was writing the reply, I thought this definition was similar to the one you let me know but just more detailed. But now I come to think of it, it’s hard to say that these two definitions has the same meaning.

And also, now that I think of it, “Expression” is not a synonym for camp like you said. “Style / Style of writing” can be more proper, I guess?

Liuyihaoge

Korean-south korea
    Camp is a particular style that is very hard to explain. You know it when you see it as a native speaker but it would be hard to explain to others, even in English. No single thing defines it but it's a combination of things. Not everyone might agree on whether a particular thing fits the concept of camp.
    Hi, kentix! :)

I guess you pinpointed exactly the reason why it’s really hard for me to understand this word clearly. Actually even though I’ve looked into the dictionary, I just have a rough sense of what it is but I do not know exactly.

It’s like the meaning of “Camp” is in my head but when someone asks me to give it to him, I can’t get it out of my head like a cloud? Haha…
    But, at least, I get it that it is a certain style related to exaggeration and tastelessness.

owlman5

English-US
    And also, now that I think of it, “Expression” is not a synonym for camp like you said. “Style / Style of writing” can be more proper, I guess?
    :thumbsup: Or an attempt to exaggerate or express things tastelessly in anything like art, music, theater, literature, etc. The adjectives that people use in talking about painting, etc. vary widely according to an individual's point of view. I don't associate camp with sophistication, but other people apparently do. After all, you had a source for your comment that you found in an online dictionary whose definition for the word included a reference to sophisticated, knowing amusement...

Last edited:

kentix

English - U.S.
    I think you need a Korean speaker who understands it to try to explain it to you. The best way to describe it in English is to show people examples and not explain it in words. It can be described in words but not really explained, in my opinion. It's like trying to explain why a joke is funny.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    It’s like the meaning of “Camp” is in my head but when someone asks me to give it to him, I can’t get it out of my head like a cloud?
    Same here. I can only think of an analogy with objects that are considered to be kitsch. Some people collect this stuff because they claim to appreciate it "in an ironic or knowing way". They find it amusing:
    When Kitsch is the Means to an Artistic End We Get - Kitsch Art

Similarly, the reader of "bodice-rippers" was claiming to enjoy them not as an uninitiated, naive reader would, but in an ironic or knowing way: their artlessness is so unashamed that they have a certain appeal for someone who understands the workings of it on him/herself and doesn't take it seriously.

Liuyihaoge

Korean-south korea
    Same here. I can only think of an analogy with objects that are considered to be kitsch. Some people collect this stuff because they claim to appreciate it "in an ironic or knowing way". They find it amusing:
    When Kitsch is the Means to an Artistic End We Get - Kitsch Art

Similarly, the reader of "bodice-rippers" was claiming to enjoy them not as an uninitiated, naive reader would, but in an ironic or knowing way: their artlessness is so unashamed that they have a certain appeal for someone who understands the workings of it on him/herself and doesn't take it seriously.
    Oh, I think kitsch is an great example for camp. Yeah, I guess they are kind of similar in a way that to the normal people, the object or the book seems to be just too much or exaggerated but for some people find it worth it or something fun to enjoy. Thank you, velisarius! :)

< Previous | Next >