Can a certificate confirm sth?

< Previous | Next >

ladlire

Spanish - Spain
I want to say that a certificate must say that I have presented what I am working on. But I am not very sure if this saying it like this is very accurate. I think that it is a Spanish structure, not an English one.

"I have to present what I am working on and I would need a certificate, which confirms that I have presented it."

Thank you for your help

• The problem is that we would not use the word "certificate." You might say "I need a document that certifies I have presented it", or "I need official certification of some kind to show that I have presented it."

(Also note that while you commonly see the abbreviation "sth" in materials given to learners, native English speakers never use this abbreviation -- even in dictionaries -- to mean "something", and most native speakers would probably have no idea what is meant by using this abbreviation. If you want to be understood by native speakers, you really must write out the full word "something", and avoid the very unfamiliar abbreviation "sth.")

ladlire

Spanish - Spain
    I am used to see "sth" so much times, that I would never think that a native English speaker don't understand it. Thank you very much for your help. It's really helpful.

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    A couple of certificates which I've got say: "This is to certify that..." and "It is hereby certified that..."

But if you're asking someone to provide you with a certificate, then I don't really see why you shouldn't say something like: "Can you provide me with a certificate to show/confirm that I have presented ....?".

Oh, and welcome to the forum, by the way, ladlire! :)

< Previous | Next >