Can a debt or a tax perish...?

< Previous | Next >

ch01_kelly

spanish
Hello everybody,

In my country sometimes you are liable to a tax but if you don´t pay it and nobody claimed for its payment during a certain period of time it perishes or becomes non applicable.

Is it correct to use any of these forms (perish, become non applicable) to state this?
It does not sound natural to me.

What about prescribe or waive?

Thanks for any helpl

Last edited:
  • xqby

English (U.S.)
    To me, when someone becomes invalid after a certain period of time, it expires.

Perish is almost exclusively for living things.

Becoming non-applicable is certainly closer in meaning, but I would take it to mean more that the tax is invalidated by some change in my status. Like, if there's a tax on people who own cows, and I sell all of my cows in tax year 2009, then for me the cow tax became non-applicable in 2009.

Prescribe doesn't, as far as I know, ever mean anything close to what you're aiming for.

Waive would probably work too, but used passively. The tax is waived after a certain number of years--the people who originally imposed the tax give up their right to collect it.

ch01_kelly

spanish
    To me, when someone becomes invalid after a certain period of time, it expires.

Perish is almost exclusively for living things.

Becoming non-applicable is certainly closer in meaning, but I would take it to mean more that the tax is invalidated by some change in my status. Like, if there's a tax on people who own cows, and I sell all of my cows in tax year 2009, then for me the cow tax became non-applicable in 2009.

Prescribe doesn't, as far as I know, ever mean anything close to what you're aiming for.

Waive would probably work too, but used passively. The tax is waived after a certain number of years--the people who originally imposed the tax give up their right to collect it.
    Thanks xqby, very helpful post.....!!!!

< Previous | Next >