Can a line end with an article, e.g. a, an, the?

englishjasmin

Slavic
Within a paragraph can I have a raw ending with an
article, such as the raw above does.

<< Second question deleted. >>

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    I don't understand the question! What is a "raw ending"? Do you mean a row? We normally call them lines, as in lines of text. In which case, it is OK for a line to have an article at the end.

englishjasmin

Slavic
    It is a row or a line, I noticed the typo, but I can't edit the post title.

<< Now fixed. >>

Last edited by a moderator:

Alxmrphi

UK English
    Well yes, if that's the way the page is formatted and there is a relevant word at the
    start of a new line, like I am writing here. If you've got a width of something like a
    Word document and this is the way it puts it, then there wouldn't usually be a
    problem. However, when you've got more space available like in your question, a
    separation of the lines does indeed look quite odd and I was reading it as a
    new sentence the first few times.

Something like what I've written has a line ending with articles on each of the lines. If it fits the layout there's no problem. It's not like ending a sentence with it (which would be wrong).

englishjasmin

Slavic
    Well, MS Word is the reason why my lines end with articles. So I did not know if I shall link the articles with the word with an "unbreakable" space. Its clear now that I do not have to do it. Thanks.

< Previous | Next >