Can a neck crane like a giraffe?

< Previous | Next >

Foxlet

Polish
Hey, everybody

I am sorry; I will not provide you with a proper source of the phrase, but I would love to know if it is possible. I can imagine a neck can crane like a girraffe's, or like a serpent/anything that snakes. What do you think?

Foxlet

• velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    Welcome to the forum, Foxlet! :)

If you have seen or heard "crane like a giraffe", please tell us where that was. If you have never seen it but you are writing something and you want to use such a phrase, that's what we need to know.

We discuss expressions in context, so we need a complete sentence and a brief description of what is going on: for example, whose neck is this, or what animal's neck is it? Is this a children's story, a humorous piece, or an essay?.

Ann O'Rack

UK
    UK English
    Please write out the sentence that you're considering writing, so we can give you a proper answer. (And giraffe has only one R.)

Foxlet

Polish
    Hey,

Thank you for your replies.

:) I am not concerning writing anything. The whole sentence reads "Whenever I hear people speaking a language I am learning in public, my neck cranes over like a giraffe."

Foxlet

Oh, dear "I am not considering" :(

Einstein

UK, English
    It probably means that you crane your neck to listen to them. To talk of craning like a giraffe is a mixed metaphor and I've never heard a similar expression.

Myridon

English - US
    To talk of craning like a giraffe is a mixed metaphor and I've never heard a similar expression.
    To expand on this: When you crane your neck, you are already referring to the bird "crane" - you're craning your neck like a crane. A giraffe can crane its neck (like a crane) but to say you crane your neck like a giraffe is a little bit odd unless you're intentionally being funny.

ewie

English English
    I may be alone in this but I've never associated the crane in to crane one's neck with the bird of the same name ~ for me it conjures up this kind of crane, if any. It's an entirely dead metaphor for me, if I'm honest. I'd quite happily say craned his neck like a giraffe ~ without intending to be funny:)

Kunio

American English
    That is one of the normal legitimate definitions of the word crane:

crane verb
    : to stretch out (your neck) in order to see better

< Previous | Next >