Can a senior and a freshman be in the same class?

Tenacious Learner

Spanish
Hello teachers,
According to the conversation the man could be in his freshman year. Can he be with a senior in the same class taking a course together, even though they are in different college years as the following conversation shows?

Woman: Ah, that's what happened to me in my freshman year.
Man: Oh, so what year are you in school?
Woman: I'm a senior, and I only have to take 10 more credits to graduate.
Man: Well. That must feel great to be almost finished with school.

Thanks in advance.

• pines222

English - USA
    In the United States, university students from all classes can and do take courses together, especially introductory and lower-level courses. Keep in mind that at American universities, students do have some flexibility to take courses outside their major, and they generally do so throughout their university years.

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Is the context American? The arrangements will differ according to location and institution. If you are just interested in the American context, I'm sure someone else will be able to come in with the answer.

Over here, we don't talk about 'seniors' etc, just Year 1, Year 2, Year 3 and Year 4. In my institution, it is perfectly possible to have all students from different years in the same class, thanks to the modular system. There is a Level 2 module that attracts not only Year 2 students; many are from Year 1 and 3 and occasionally 4.

Tenacious Learner

Spanish
    Is the context American? The arrangements will differ according to location and institution. We don't talk about 'seniors' etc here, just Year 1, Year 2, Year 3 and Year 4. In my institution, it is perfectly possible to have all students from different years in the same class, thanks to the modular system. There is a Level 2 module that attracts not only Year 2 students; many are from Year 1 and 3 and occasionally 4.
    Hi natkretep,
    Thank you for the explanations. Yes, the context is American.

TL

Tenacious Learner

Spanish
    In the United States, university students from all classes can and do take courses together, especially introductory and lower-level courses. Keep in mind that at American universities, students do have some flexibility to take courses outside their major, and they generally do so throughout their university years.
    Hi pines,
    Thank you for your help. Crystal clear.

TL

< Previous | Next >