Can a 'tournament' be addressed as a 'contest'?

< Previous | Next >

roniy

ISRAEL: Fluent Hebrew ( Speak Russian, Learning English)
Can a 'tournament' be addressed as a 'contest'?

" A poker tournament" = "a poker contest" ?

THanks.

• Musical Chairs

Japan & US, Japanese & English
    Maybe..."tournament" is not always exactly a contest. For example, they have "soccer tournaments" but I wouldn't say that a soccer game is exactly a contest. I think of a contest as more of an individual thing. In poker tournaments and soccer tournaments, there are many individuals competing against one another...but then there are "poster contests" and not "poster tournaments" and I am not sure how I would explain that.

volky

Spanish/English
    Following Musical Chairs line, tournament is more related to sporting competitions while contest is more used in individual competitions not necessarily related with sports.

For example: you can have a popularity contest, but I haven't heard of a popularity tournament.

Harry Batt

USA English
    All tournaments are contests. Not all contests are tournaments. Tournaments are likely to have several contests. Contests do not have several tournaments. Golf tournaments come to mind where each foursome is having a contest. The American football contest called the Rose Bowl is actually named the Tournament of Roses. it is a misnomer but gives a stature to the event.

< Previous | Next >