Can "discontent" be used as a verb?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by sb_stefan, Dec 13, 2013.

  1. sb_stefan New Member

    Is it correct english to say "You discontent me"?
  2. pob14 Senior Member

    Central Illinois
    American English
  3. owlman5

    owlman5 Senior Member

    That depends on what you mean by "correct English", sb_stefan. Is it possible to use that odd verb that way in a sentence? Yes. Do people often use the verb that way? No. It would be much more common to say: You make me angry. Or: You piss me off.

    PS Cross-posted with pob14, who also finds the verb unusual.
  4. sb_stefan New Member

    I know, but I'm writing poetry and I just wanted to know if it's grammatically correct.
  5. owlman5

    owlman5 Senior Member

    That information would have been useful in your first post, sb_stefan. Anyhow, you have a couple of opinions on the topic. :)
  6. Thomas Tompion Senior Member

    Southwest France
    English - England
    It used to be possible, back in the seventeenth century; these days it's out of the question, in my view.

    The ngrams support my view for BE, though if you switch the settings to AE, you'll see there have been recent examples.
  7. ewie

    ewie Senior Member

    Another Country
    English English
    I wouldn't even use it in poetry:thumbsdown:
  8. gramman

    gramman Senior Member

    One way to torment the patient and understanding staff here at WRF would be to suggest alternative words for use by poets. And that would probably be too extreme a description if you were merely causing them discontent.

Share This Page