Can "embody" mean "run"?!

< Previous | Next >

Ssarah

Persian
Hello there,

This is from the book, Philosophy in the Classroom, by Matthew Lipman:

"Remember, the commitment you are encouraging on the child's part is commitment to the process of inquiry itself, whether this be logical, aesthetic, scientific, or moral inquiry. The child should eventually be able to distinguish between your idiosyncratic values and the process that you try to embody. While there will be times when you will stray, it is that process to which you will most repeatedly return."

I've looked up "embody". It has two meanings:

1. be an expression of or give a tangible or visible form to (an idea, quality, or feeling).

2. include or contain (something) as a constituent part.

I don't think it's the second one. Maybe it's closer to the first one. But I think it should mean something like this: "the process that you try to run". Is it correct?!

Thanks in advance

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    No. Embody never means "run".

To embody: to be an expression of or give a tangible or visible form to.

The example is saying that "you" should be the perfect example of the process of inquiry.

Ssarah

Persian
    No. Embody never means "run".

To embody: to be an expression of or give a tangible or visible form to.

The example is saying that "you" should be the perfect example of the process of inquiry.
    Thanks PaulQ. So I can restate the sentence as follows: The child should eventually be able to distinguish between your idiosyncratic values and the process of inquiry of which you try to be a perfect example.

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    I see the example as:

"Remember, you are trying to have the child think critically about something. The child should eventually be able to distinguish between what you, personally, think and the system of critical thinking that you represent. Although you may not always get it right, you will most repeatedly return to the system of critical thinking."

Personally, I think that "embody" is the wrong verb, and "are demonstrating and exemplifying" would be better.

< Previous | Next >