can "forward"be omitted in the phrase "looking forward to"

springlovesword

China, Chinese
Is it right to say: "We are looking to achieve a significant savings on the cost of our TJ HQ"

does that mean the same as "we are looking forward to achieve......."

Please help, thanks!

• nichec

Chinese(Taiwan)/English(AE)
    Is it right to say: "We are looking to achieve a significant savings on the cost of our TJ HQ"

does that mean the same as "we are looking forward to achieve......."

Please help, thanks!
    Somehow it sounds strange to me......

I may be able to accept:
    --We are looking at a possible achievement of........

little_vegemite

english
    Um, "looking to achieve" does not mean the same as "looking forward to achieving" .
    "looking to achieve" means that you are aiming to complete the goal of making significant savings.
    "Looking forward to achieving" means that you are awaiting hopefully/happily the achievement of your goal

nichec

And 'looking to' can't be replaced with 'looking at a possible achievement of' sorry nichec.
    Yes, I realize that. But it seems to me that it's possible to say:

--We are looking at the possibility of.......
    = We are looking forward to......

I seem to recall that I heard it once in one of the millions of movies I have seen (but maybe I'm wrong:p)

And maybe, maybe the first sentence has more "confidence" in it than the second one (in the sense of seeing ...... happen)

little_vegemite

english
    I agree with you, however one would only use "we are looking at the possibility of achieving..." if one was talking about a plan that may or may not work. However "looking to achieve..." Is simply talking about the goal "Our aim is to achieve..." is synonymous with "looking to" but not synonymous with "looking at the possiblility of..." And as this thread is about "looking to" then really we shouldn't be suggesting other possible phrases that won't convey the correct meaning of the original phrase.

Oh, and "we are looking at the possiblility of" does not mean "We are looking forward to" though both sentences are grammatically correct. And,sorry to contradict almost everything you said, I would say the first sentence is the least confident, as if one is anticipating many things going wrong with your plan to achieve the goal.

nichec

I agree with you, however one would only use "we are looking at the possibility of achieving..." if one was talking about a plan that may or may not work. However "looking to achieve..." Is simply talking about the goal "Our aim is to achieve..." is synonymous with "looking to" but not synonymous with "looking at the possiblility of..." And as this thread is about "looking to" then really we shouldn't be suggesting other possible phrases that won't convey the correct meaning of the original phrase.

Oh, and "we are looking at the possiblility of" does not mean "We are looking forward to" though both sentences are grammatically correct. And,sorry to contradict almost everything you said, I would say the first sentence is the least confident, as if one is anticipating many things going wrong with your plan to achieve the goal.
    Ha! Thanks for the contradiction:D It's always nice to learn others' opinions:)

< Previous | Next >