can gain her everlasting life

< Previous | Next >

Michelle Green

Chinese
Hi all,
Could you help me with this thread?
The following sentence is taken from the introduction of a video.
Mary thinks that believing in the Lord Jesus is believing in the Son and can gain <her> everlasting life.
Do you think the red part in OK? I don't know whether it is correct because its object is "believing in the Lord Jesus" rather than "Mary." Or is it because the implied subject is "Mary" so it is OK as it is? And do you think "her" is necessary here?
Thank you in advance.

• Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    through whom she can gain
    I think the intended idea is "through which she can gain", i.e. everlasting life comes not through him but through believing in him.
    Another option for the end of the sentence might be "and this can gain her everlasting life".

I think I would change "her" to "for her", and change the word order to "everlasting life for her".
    This would help to ensure "her" is interpreted as a pronoun, and not as a determiner (part of "her everlasting life"). So if I were Mary, I would say it can gain me everlasting life, not my everlasting life.
    I don't know whether it is correct because its object is "believing in the Lord Jesus" rather than "Mary." Or is it because the implied subject is "Mary" so it is OK as it is?
    The main sentence has subject "Mary" and verb "thinks". The whole rest of the sentence is the object of "thinks".
    But the object is itself a complex clause that has subject "believing in the Lord Jesus", linking verb "is", and subject complement "believing in the Son". The same subject also has verb "can gain" with object "everlasting life".

You little ripper!

Australian English
    I find the first part of that sentence, believing in the Lord Jesus is believing in the Son, strange. Presumably “the Son” refers to the Son of God. Isn’t that obvious?

Chasint

English - England
    Mary thinks that believing in the Lord Jesus is believing in the Son and can gain <her> everlasting life.
    Note that 'her' is not a possessive here. We are not talking about 'her everlasting life'. Instead 'her' is an indirect object of the verb 'gain.

Mary thinks that believing in the Lord Jesus can gain for her everlasting life. = Mary thinks that believing in the Lord Jesus can gain everlasting life for her.

< Previous | Next >