can hands-on approach also have a negative meaning?

apoziopeza

slovak
Hi,

Please help

What does it mean to do something hands-on? or hands-on approach? Can it also have a negative meaning?

I will make an excerpt I am translating simple : He has hands-on approach which prevents him to see things globally.

thanks

A

• JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    It can be quite neutral to describe someone who actually does the physical work, rather than, for example, contributing equally by designing the project and directing others to do the work. However, as in your sentence, the context frequently will imply that this results in negative consequences or can imply negative reaction by micromanagement.

apoziopeza

slovak
    JulianStuart,

Could you please explain what is negative about "contributing equally by designing the project and directing others to do the work"?

Thanks a lot,

A.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    It can be quite neutral to describe someone who actually does the physical work, rather than, for example, contributing equally by designing the project and directing others to do the work.
    JulianStuart,

Could you please explain what is negative about "contributing equally by designing the project and directing others to do the work"?

Thanks a lot,

A.
    Nothing! The examples in my first sentence illustrate the neutral use of the term - hands-on (doing the physical work) vs. hands-off (doing the design and direction) are equal in terms of positive contribution.

< Previous | Next >